Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2011/03/06 18:47:35 UTC

trying to version packages from the framework may not work well.

Working on my connector sandbox I've been trying to run stuff in pax-exam and in unmodified karaf.  I ran into some rather hard to diagnose problems due to package versioning.

Our stax 1.2 api bundle includes the javax.xml.namespace package and it apparently matches the same packages as implemented in java 5 and java 6.  We are exporting it at version 1.0 but pax-exam/pax-runner and karaf export it with no version (version 0.0.0.0).  We've modified our copy of karaf to export at version 1.0.  Trying to use our stax bundles and bundles compiled against it (jaxb spec, jaxb impl, woodstox for example) cause mysterious CNFE and NCDFE inside jaxb impl.

If I rebuild everything without this package version then I can run tests in pax-exam and deploy stuff in regular karaf.  I think we should remove this package version.

I see that we also have versions for

 javax.jws;version="2.0", \
 javax.jws.soap;version="2.0", \

and wonder if we will encounter similar problems with pax-exam and plain karaf with those packages.

I think as a general policy that unless there's a compelling reason such as with javax.transaction, until there is a spec defining package versions for stuff coming with java, we should not version these packages.

I opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-5848 and I'm going to commit changes to at least the affected bundles if not geronimo trunk.

thanks
david jencks