Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Mark Raynsford <li...@io7m.com.INVALID> on 2021/06/13 21:00:05 UTC

MQTT over UDP?

Hello!

Are there any plans to support MQTT over UDP? It seems that Artemis
only supports TCP right now.

--
Mark Raynsford | https://www.io7m.com

Re: MQTT over UDP?

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm not aware of any current or planned
effort to implement MQTT-SN.

Justin

Re: MQTT over UDP?

Posted by Mark Raynsford <li...@io7m.com.INVALID>.
On 2021-06-13T16:24:49 -0500

Re: MQTT over UDP?

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.
I didn't realize that UDP was suitable for MQTT. Section 4.2 of both the
3.1.1 [1] and 5.0 [2] MQTT specifications say:

> The MQTT protocol requires an underlying transport that provides an
ordered, lossless, stream of bytes from the Client to Server and Server to
Client.
> Connectionless network transports such as User Datagram Protocol (UDP)
are not suitable on their own because they might lose or reorder data.

Can you elaborate on the use-case here?

Justin

[1]
http://docs.oasis-open.org/mqtt/mqtt/v3.1.1/os/mqtt-v3.1.1-os.html#_Toc398718098