Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mike W-M <mi...@ward-murphy.co.uk> on 2002/12/12 23:21:51 UTC

Re: [OT] Apache-Tomcat mod_jk

Denise,

In application scenarios like this (and particularly because you seem to
have multiple systems on the go) the thing that you need to consider is
<i>transactions</i>.
You need to consider what happens if there's a failure at any stage in the
process, the aim being to ensure that there's no way you can:
i) charge the customer when it looks like you haven't
ii) charge them but fail to keep a record of it
iii) not charge them but make it look like you have...
iv) etc.
Across multiple systems this can be difficult!  (Particularly if there are
flat-files involved - it's a lot easier to do if you're only using
(transactional) databases.)
Of course it's not actually necessary to work-around all the potential
problems if the business are prepared to take the risk....

Apologies if you knew all that already!

Mike.

Posted by Brandon Cruz <bc...@norvax.com>.
I would recommend using a different version of Tomcat than 4.1.12.  4.1.12
seems to have a few bugs that have been fixed by the 4.1.17 release.  If you
are using a connector (coyote), versions prior to 4.1.17 had a bug with the
coyote connector.

Hope you can save you some of the time I just spent figuring these things
out over the past week or so.

[...]

For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>