Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz> on 2012/03/08 19:19:44 UTC

Re: root

On 8 March 2012 17:45, Lauren Dahlin <ld...@simons-rock.edu> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I've been using CouchDB with great success on Ubuntu, but unfortunately due
> to other software needs, I am switching to RHEL6. Because I'm on an ec2
> instance, I am trying to run Couchdb from the root user. I used
> iriscouch/build-couchdb from github, seemingly without errors. I changed
> COUCHDB_USER to root in /etc/default/couchdb, but I'm hanging at startup
> after I get the "time to relax" message. I'm thinking this is a permissions
> issue, but don't know how to troubleshoot.
> Thanks,
> Lauren

Hi Laurin,

initially the thing is to run CouchDB via:

couchdb -i

which is interactive and will spit out some messages that might be helpful.

How are you starting it at the moment?
Do you see anything useful in your couch.log, and have you tried
setting local.ini [log] level=debug?

Cheers
Dave

Re: root

Posted by Marcos Ortiz <ml...@uci.cu>.
Well, when you are using RHEL or CentOS with SELinux in restricted mode,
you use the setroubleshooter to see what´s happening
on the system.
You can follow the work of Dominick Grift (domg472@gmail.com) and Daniel
Walsh [1] (Principal Software Engineer at Red Hat, responsible for
SELinux development on the distribution) on the Fedora SELinux mailing
list [2], , because they were working on the update of the SELinux
policy to include support for CouchDB.

[1] http://danwalsh.livejournal.com
[2] selinux@lists.fedoraproject.org

Regards

--
Marcos Luis Ortíz Valmaseda
  Sr. Software Engineer (UCI)

Fin a la injusticia, LIBERTAD AHORA A NUESTROS CINCO COMPATRIOTAS QUE SE ENCUENTRAN INJUSTAMENTE EN PRISIONES DE LOS EEUU!
http://www.antiterroristas.cu
http://justiciaparaloscinco.wordpress.com

Re: root

Posted by Marcos Ortiz <ml...@uci.cu>.
OK, that's good but it's not recommended for production servers.
SELinux does a great job protecting your applications deployed on RHEL and
derivatives.
So, if you can send the setroubleshooter's reports to analyze them here
with
a CC to selinux@lists.fedoraproject.org, It would awesome.

Regards and best wishes

Re: root