Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl> on 2014/09/19 18:50:06 UTC

Re: List of dependencies

Either way, if they have been available, unrestricted, for a prolonged
period, without Adobe actively contesting the right of Velo - or anyone
else - to distribute them, then they are de facto in the public domain.

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

AW: List of dependencies

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Ok ... so I'll do a reply to all things in one post (As you all no, I hate this discussion fragmentation)

I know that we don't only have dependencies to Flash and Air artifacts, but also to BlazeDS and some other libs. Alex talked about one font-encoding library being needed that still is Adobe. Now it was an assumption of mine, that Adobe didn't change this lib that often and I was hoping, that the version we use is still the same Velo deployed back in the old days when he still did that.

>From talking to him about this, he had permission to do that from Adobe and Sonatype had a grant from Adobe to publicaly publish the stuff. At first I was thinking about me deploying the Flash and Air artifacts at Sonatype and us releasing our stuff at Apache with both ending up in Maven central. But Sonatype explained that the permit had expired and Adobe didn't want to renew it. So that door is closed.

I just posted in another thread that I added the auto-download after Accepting license feature for downloading playerglobal and airglobal and the feature seems to be working nicely.

Ok I didn't find the artifact in maven central but in sonatypes open repo:
https://repository.sonatype.org/#nexus-search;gav~com.adobe.flex.compiler~afe~~~
Having a look all Flex 4.x versions from Adobe had the same MD5 hash so I was thinking about
referencing this artifact for example: https://repository.sonatype.org/service/local/repositories/flex/content/com/adobe/flex/compiler/afe/4.6.b.23201/afe-4.6.b.23201.jar

My way to satisfy Adobe legal in regards to the playerglobal and airglobal seem to be ok the way I implemented Flexmojos now, but I doubt that it would be possible to cleanly integrate the font handling the same way. I would become more and more a hack.

Perhaps If you could post a list of external dependencies that we still rely on and don't have the permission to publish, I could start finding solutions to where to get them from or how to make the build-system cope with them. (For example I could make Flexmojos check if afe is present only if font encoding is being used in the project and eventually handle that gracefully) but I wouldn't like to do this for every external and optional dependency.

Chris

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: List of dependencies

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Om,

Re: List of dependencies

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: List of dependencies

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: List of dependencies

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 10:56 AM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 9/19/14 10:29 AM, "Erik de Bruin" <er...@ixsoftware.nl> wrote:
>
> >The name Velo came up, so it¹s safe to say that it¹s been many years. And
> >the internet is not a "remote gallery² (but I like your analogy, it¹s a
> >clever trick ;-)).
> I can't speak for my fellow Adobe colleagues, but Maven Central was
> effectively a remote gallery to me.  I had no idea it existed and you
> could get stuff from there.
>
> >They have been freely available to the only interested
> >audience, so it¹s fair to conclude that the entire public has had access
> >for a long time -> public domain.
> A quick internet search indicated that "prolonged period" is 95 years
> before copyright protection runs out and works go into the public domain.
> Do you know it to be different for software?

Before this discussion veers further into weirder territory, what is the
best way to move forward?

If Velo had an official permit from Adobe, is that not good enough for us,
regardless of what happened internally at Adobe?

Or can we get Adobe to upload a version of those files themselves into
Maven Central?  They are already available for download publicly.  All
their licenses would remain intact.

Re: List of dependencies

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: List of dependencies

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
> >Either way, if they have been available, unrestricted, for a prolonged
> >period, without Adobe actively contesting the right of Velo - or anyone
> >else - to distribute them, then they are de facto in the public domain.

Hey, I thought you didn't like this legal stuff ;-).  I'm not saying you
> are wrong, but how long is the "prolonged period"?  Also, wouldn't this be
> like a movie script where someone steals some artwork and displays it in a
> public but remote gallery for a "prolonged period" then claims it is
> public domain?

As I’m PMC again, it is my interpretation of the Apache Way that I have to
“like” it. As long as we keep it brief ;-)

The name Velo came up, so it’s safe to say that it’s been many years. And
the internet is not a "remote gallery” (but I like your analogy, it’s a
clever trick ;-)). They have been freely available to the only interested
audience, so it’s fair to conclude that the entire public has had access

Re: List of dependencies

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.