Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by em...@lutecia.info on 2004/09/29 14:08:36 UTC

Recreate repository with proper structure trunk/branches/tags - without losing change history?

Hi guys,

I've been using SVN for months and everything is fine (we love it!). I need
to use branches and merges now; however, I haven't created my repository
with a "proper" structure /trunk /branches /tags as it is recommended in the
documentation (OK, my fault).

Is there a simple way of recreating/changing my repository without losing
change history?

I.e. take my current repo/branch and move it to a subdirectory "trunk", and
then start making branches and tags?

Thanks for any tips/info on this,

Emmanuel KARTMANN
Web Consultant - Software Architect
Replay Software Development Company

Email:  <ma...@lutecia.info>
emmanuel.kartmann@lutecia.info

RE: Recreate repository with proper structure trunk/branches/tags - without losing change history?

Posted by Greg Irvine <gr...@thalesatm.com>.
Hi Emmanuel.

If you're using Eclipse and Subclipse, all you need to do is (when in the
Repository Explorer):

1.      right click on the root folder of your repository and select New ->
New Remote Folder

2.      enter trunk, click next, and enter a comment (or skip the next and
just click finish).

3.      right click on your source folder you want to move (one at a time
unfortunately) and select Rename/Move

4.      select trunk from the popup window, and next+comment+finish or
finish.

Same as the suggestion by Ian, but not from the command line.  You retain
all your history, even the fact that you've created a proper hierarchy in
your repository.

- Greg.

  _____