Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com> on 2015/09/08 12:55:48 UTC

[VOTE] TinkerPop 3.0.1-incubating Release

Hello,

We are happy to announce that TinkerPop 3.0.1-incubating is ready for
release.

The release artifacts can be found at this location:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/tinkerpop/3.0.1-incubating/

The source distribution is provided by:
apache-tinkerpop-3.0.1-incubating-source-release.zip

Two binary distributions are provided for user convenience:
apache-gremlin-console-3.0.1-incubating-distribution.zip
apache-gremlin-server-3.0.1-incubating-distribution.zip

The GPG key used to sign the release artifacts is available at:
        https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/tinkerpop/KEYS

The online docs can be found here:
http://tinkerpop.incubator.apache.org/docs/3.0.1-incubating/ (user docs)
http://tinkerpop.incubator.apache.org/javadocs/3.0.1-incubating/core/ (core
javadoc)
http://tinkerpop.incubator.apache.org/javadocs/3.0.1-incubating/full/ (full
javadoc)

The tag in Apache Git can be found here:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-tinkerpop.git;a=tag;h=edcc9c62699410862e2a26e70c9f67aeccb11b69

The release notes are available here:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-tinkerpop/blob/5a381391031c2756bf0927f4246e20e220306f8d/CHANGELOG.asciidoc#tinkerpop-301-release-date-september-2-2015

Finally, the dev@tinkerpop [VOTE] thread can be found at this location:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-tinkerpop-dev/201509.mbox/%3CCAA-H4383s0eh2v12L9xx5-nFRHSe8kBu0U=VgJ%2BjoFMyry1=Zw@mail.gmail.com%3E
Result summary: +1 (4 binding, 2 non-binding), 0 (0), -1 (0)

The [VOTE] will be open for the next 72 hours --- closing Friday (September
11, 2015) at 7am EST.

Thanks,

Stephen

Re: [VOTE] TinkerPop 3.0.1-incubating Release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I suppose I still could have missed something, but I thought i'd gotten the bulk of it right - could you please
> tell me what you noticed that I missed or misunderstood from your last
> post?

Only things in the release need to be in LICENSE or NOTICE [1]. I’d check that first. Permissive licensed software (i.e. MIT/BSD) don't need to go in NOTICE [5], I can see there a few of those there.

> Does that simply mean that I should remove all apache licensed dependencies
> from the binary NOTICE and all is good?

Generally when adding Apache licenced software there's no need to modify LICENSE or NOTICE unless it has a NOTICE file [2]. That means you generally don’t have to add much when bundling other ASF projects especially when they have a boilerplate NOTICE file. [3] The no need to add Apache licensed software to LICENSE but it not an licensing error to do so. I generally don’t mind that as it makes checking releases a little easier when reviewing.

Not that dependancies of dependancies matter [4]. Rather than go down that rabbit hole just look inside all the jars in the release with something like this:
find . -name "*.jar" -exec tar ft {} \; | sort -u > paths.txt

Look at all of the classes contained to see what’s included. For example with TinkerPop I see that it includes "com/carrotsearch/hppc” and looking at its license (Apache) I can see it has a NOTICE file (which looks incorrect but that’s another story), so that would need to be considered and possibly something added to TinkerPop’s NOTICE. In this case I’d probably assume a standard NOTICE and add a copyright line to the NOTICE file - but that’s not the only valid solution. It's may not be always clear cut what needs to be done and you may have to consider each on a case by case basis.

If any questions come up ask you mentors, ask this list or on legal discuss.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#guiding-principle
2.. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#alv2-dep
3. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#bundle-asf-product
4. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#deps-of-deps
5. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps

Re: [VOTE] TinkerPop 3.0.1-incubating Release

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin, thanks for your vote.  I actually made some tweaks for this
release to clean-up as you had suggested on the last vote (i.e. removing
from binary LICENSE/NOTICE the dependencies that weren't bundled - i think
i'd had some bad cut/paste there).  I suppose I still could have missed
something, but I thought i'd gotten the bulk of it right - could you please
tell me what you noticed that I missed or misunderstood from your last
post?  Perhaps it was this aspect:

> *NOTICE file look like it needs a little bit of work as there’s *
>* Apache licensed software (and other permissive licenses) mentioned in
NOTICE *

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
+1 (Binding)

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon