Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com> on 2021/11/19 06:02:24 UTC

Re: How to get started with contribution

Hello Suhel,

mentors@ is the list for mentors, not for students :)
I can recommend you to check this page: https://community.apache.org/gsoc.html

Then find the project you would like to participate in here:
https://projects.apache.org/projects.html?
language#Java

Additionally you can search for the GSOC label in JIRA :)

or better to the dev@ list of the particular Apache project you would
like to contribute :)

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: How to get started with contribution

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Hello Mohammad :)

On Wed, 12 Jan 2022 at 17:12, Mohammad Noureldin
<no...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Maxim!
>
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 3:51 AM Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> Should I change my semi-automatic-answer? :)
>> Maybe add section or correct some wording? :)
>

> 1st of all, nothing wrong at all regarding your semi-automatic-answer (using your own words :) ). On the contrary I do really thank you that you have the patience to keep responding to such emails in a friendly way and that you, in a good way, directing the senders to the right places.

As non-native English speaker with no practice for 5+ years I would
appreciate any help in correcting my email (or maybe some details can
be added)

> It is more about the root cause or the reason behind them keep sending to mentors@ which, IMHO, it can mean 1 of 2 things:
> - Either they get lost going through the Apache Community Development website
> - and/or the information is not clear enough
>
> For that I believe, and as sebb suggested which I agree with, making clear what channel(s) of communication to use, when and in what context, can help the sender directing them to the right place(s) from the very beginning.
>
> We still keep your friendly semi-automatic-answer as a last rest :D
>
> May I suggest something. How about you and I go through the Apache Community Development website, collect such content and cross check with each other as a sort of peer-review ?
>
> What are your thoughts about that ?

Unfortunately I have not much free time right now (2 small kids 24/7)
I believe the main reason emails go to mentors@ : people are looking
for mentors :)
(same thing happens with dev@ list: users will write to dev@ to
contact developers ....)

I'm not sure how this can be improved :(

p.s. as Melissa use to say: I miss your smiley face :) Hope to see you
at one of ApacheCon one day :)

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: How to get started with contribution

Posted by Mohammad Noureldin <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Maxim!

wrote:

> [...]

> section/page.
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 1:05 AM sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> mentors@
> Community
> send an

> list.
> > > It
> website
> > > or
> questions/inquiries.
> > >
> > > Maybe have a single section with all email addresses and what their
> > > purpose is.
> > >
> > > If an email address is mentioned in isolation, the temptation is to
> > > just use that without reading the surrounding text carefully.
> > > And even if the list does not appear to be quite right, if one has not
> > > found any other address then one might assume it is OK to use.
> > >
> > > When the addresses are listed together, it's much easier to choose the

Thanks
- Mohammad Noureldin
----
- Albert Einstein

Re: How to get started with contribution

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Hello All,

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: How to get started with contribution

Posted by Mohammad Noureldin <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

sebb, good idea!

I will go through the Apache Community Development website, list all emails
with when to use and in what context as the content for that section/page.

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 1:05 AM sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 at 23:54, Mohammad Noureldin
> <no...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've followed up on some of these emails that have been sent to mentors@
> > asking the senders to give us feedback on where on the Apache Community
> > Development website [1] they have found that they need to/should send an
> > email to mentors@.
> >
> > IMHO we better 1st understand that before creating another mailing list.
> It
> > could be that we only need to rephrase some information on that website
> or
> > make it more clear where they should go with their questions/inquiries.
>
> Maybe have a single section with all email addresses and what their
> purpose is.
>
> If an email address is mentioned in isolation, the temptation is to
> just use that without reading the surrounding text carefully.
> And even if the list does not appear to be quite right, if one has not
> found any other address then one might assume it is OK to use.
>
> When the addresses are listed together, it's much easier to choose the
> correct list.
>
> > [1] https://community.apache.org
> >

> > On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 8:37 PM Paulo Motta <pa...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > I would like to follow-up on this topic, given the recent student
> seeking
> > > GSoC information in the mentors list <me...@community.apache.org>.
> > >
> > > I would like to hear your opinions on creating a mixed student and
> mentors
> > > list <gs...@community.apache.org> for ASF-wide mentors to advertise
> > > projects
> > > to potentially interested students, as well as taking general questions
> > > about ASF participation in GSoC.
> > >
> > > If there's interest I can volunteer to set up the list with ASF Infra,
> and
> > > work with Maxim to set it as a point of contact in ASF's GSoC page (<
> > >

> https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/archive/2021/organizations/5149287498907648
> > >
> > > Kind regards,
> > >
> > > Paulo

> pauloricardomg@gmail.com>

> dev@community
> > > ?

> https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/archive/2021/organizations/5149287498907648/

> path

> > > pauloricardomg@gmail.com

> mentors
> > > specific

> here:

> :)

> dev@community
> project

Thanks
- Mohammad Noureldin
----
- Albert Einstein

Re: How to get started with contribution

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mohammad Noureldin <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Paulo Motta <pa...@gmail.com>.