Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Ryan Williams <rw...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/14 20:10:14 UTC

How to perform a controlled shutdown for rolling bounce?

Running 0.8.1 and am unable to do a controlled shutdown as part of a
rolling bounce.

Is this the primary reference for this task?

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Replication+tools#Replicationtools-1.ControlledShutdown

I've set the config to enable controlled shutdown.

controlled.shutdown.enable=true
controlled.shutdown.max.retries=3
controlled.shutdown.retry.backoff.ms=5000

Before shutting down the first broker, topics looks like:

Topic:events    PartitionCount:2    ReplicationFactor:1    Configs:
    Topic: events    Partition: 0    Leader: 1    Replicas: 1    Isr: 1
    Topic: events    Partition: 1    Leader: 2    Replicas: 2    Isr: 2
Topic:failure    PartitionCount:2    ReplicationFactor:1    Configs:
    Topic: failure    Partition: 0    Leader: 1    Replicas: 1    Isr: 1
    Topic: failure    Partition: 1    Leader: 2    Replicas: 2    Isr: 2
Topic:retry    PartitionCount:2    ReplicationFactor:1    Configs:
    Topic: retry    Partition: 0    Leader: 2    Replicas: 2    Isr: 2
    Topic: retry    Partition: 1    Leader: 3    Replicas: 3    Isr: 3

I then executed the bin/kafka-server-stop.sh program.

After that, the topics look like:

Topic:events    PartitionCount:2    ReplicationFactor:1    Configs:
    Topic: events    Partition: 0    Leader: -1    Replicas: 1    Isr:
    Topic: events    Partition: 1    Leader: 2    Replicas: 2    Isr: 2
Topic:failure    PartitionCount:2    ReplicationFactor:1    Configs:
    Topic: failure    Partition: 0    Leader: -1    Replicas: 1    Isr:
    Topic: failure    Partition: 1    Leader: 2    Replicas: 2    Isr: 2
Topic:retry    PartitionCount:2    ReplicationFactor:1    Configs:
    Topic: retry    Partition: 0    Leader: 2    Replicas: 2    Isr: 2
    Topic: retry    Partition: 1    Leader: 3    Replicas: 3    Isr: 3

What does the -1 for Leader and blank Isr indicate?  Do I need to run
something else for the leader election to occur? I thought that was
automatic with the controlled shutdown enabled. Is there a different
shutdown command to issue?

Thanks!
Ryan

Re: How to perform a controlled shutdown for rolling bounce?

Posted by Joel Koshy <jj...@gmail.com>.
Yes - you would still issue SIGTERM. Also, right now you will need to
use the following process to increase replication factor:
http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#basic_ops_increase_replication_factor
There is a jira open to help reduce the effort to do that.

Joel

Posted by Ryan Williams <rw...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for clarifying.

Posted by Joel Koshy <jj...@gmail.com>.