Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Teodor Macicas <te...@epfl.ch> on 2010/08/01 23:23:42 UTC

[HADOOP] Terasort for numbers

Hi all,

I am using hadoop 0.20.2 and I want to use sort huge amount of data.
I've read about Terasort [from examples], but now it's using 10bytes
char keys.
Changing keys from char to integer wasn't a good solution as Terasort
builds a trie for creating total order partitions. I got stuck when I
tried to change the char trie to a one suitable for number keys.

Then, I've given a try to Sort [also from examples] and it did work for
integer keys, but without a total order partitioning. In the end of the
day, the final result can not be created only by putting together all
reducers' outputs. Each reducer sorts only a subset of data and no
merging is occured between two reducers.

Please can anyone advise me what and how to use in order to sort huge
amount of real numbers ?
Looking forward for your replies.

Thank you.
Best,
Teodor

Re: [HADOOP] Terasort for numbers

Posted by Alex Kozlov <al...@cloudera.com>.
On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Teodor Macicas <te...@epfl.ch>wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> Why are you suggesting using SequenceFiles ? That implies changing the
> TeraInputFormat class, right ?

Because text input file will not work for arbitrary bytes that can contain
new line bytes for example.  Yes, the old TeraInputFormat will not work.

> Your second approach is similar with Sort example from hadoop. The
> disadvantage of using it is that I don't have a total order partitioning and
> thus more operations are neccessary for creating the final result.

There is a generic total order partitioner: I provided the links.  See the
HTDG book as well.

> Regards,
> Teodor
>

> On 08/03/2010 12:21 AM, Alex Kozlov wrote:
>
>> Hi Teodor,
>>
>> Certainly org.apache.hadoop.io.DoubleWritable and
>> org.apache.hadoop.io.Text
>> are different classes.  For the approach (1) I suggested, you need just to
>> construct byte[10] array from an integer and create a new Text(byte[]) and
>> write it together with the value to a sequence file.
>>
>> Since TeraSort was specifically created for just benchmarking purposes, I
>> think it might make sense for you to start with the approach (2).  Just
>> create a SequenceFile<DoubleWritable,Text>  file with your<key,value>
>>  data
>> and do a simple MR job with an identity mapper and identity reducer.  I
>> can
>> send you an example of a MR code, but there are plenty out
>> there<http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/r0.20.2/mapred_tutorial.html>.
>>
>> One of them is TeraSort.java:run() itself, but you may want to use the new
>> mapreduce API<
>> http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/api/org/apache/hadoop/mapreduce/Job.html
>> >.
>>
>> Once you are comfortable with the MR framework, you can optimize it
>> further.
>>
>> Another good source of information is Tom White's 'Hadoop: The Definitive
>> Guide', particularly on the TotalOrderPartitioner.
>>
>> Let me know if you have any further questions.
>>
>> Alex K
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Teodor Macicas<teodor.macicas@epfl.ch
>> >wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Alex,
>>>
>>> Thank you again.
>>> Yes, I'm also thinking of your first suggestion. But that would help me
>>> only for 'reducing' the problem from floating points to integers. But I
>>> also
>>> do not know how to use Terasort for integer keys !
>>>
>>> I've tried to use the generic TotalOrderPartitioner instead of the one
>>> nested in Terasort class, but I received a lot of errors [0]. I had tried
>>> modify the TeraInputFormat, TeraOutputFormat (and all nested classes) and
>>> I've continued getting errors.
>>>
>>> Now, it's not clear for me what do I have to change in order to make your
>>> second solution working. Moreover, I was unable to find a generic MR on
>>> my
>>> hadoop 0.20.2 version.
>>> I'd prefer the first solution, so can you please give me some tips for
>>> how
>>> to use Terasort for integers ?
>>>
>>> p.s.: I've made a trick using fixed-length char keys and the program
>>> worked
>>> for this kind of workload [1]. I think using integer keys instead of this
>>> trick would be faster.
>>>
>>> [0] java.io.IOException: wrong key class:
>>> org.apache.hadoop.io.DoubleWritable is not class
> [...]
>>> 0005120.55 payload2

Posted by Teodor Macicas <te...@epfl.ch>.
Hi Alex,

Posted by Alex Kozlov <al...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Teodor,

Posted by Teodor Macicas <te...@epfl.ch>.
Hi Alex,

Thank you again.
Yes, I'm also thinking of your first suggestion. But that would help me
only for 'reducing' the problem from floating points to integers. But I
also do not know how to use Terasort for integer keys !

I've tried to use the generic TotalOrderPartitioner instead of the one
nested in Terasort class, but I received a lot of errors [0]. I had
tried to modify the TeraInputFormat, TeraOutputFormat (and all nested

Posted by Alex Kozlov <al...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Teodor,

Posted by Teodor Macicas <te...@epfl.ch>.
Hi Alex,