Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by "Schaible, Jörg" <Jo...@gft.com> on 2003/04/01 10:53:56 UTC

RE: Logger configuration in Fortress

Hi Berin,

> I suppose I have to use the CVS newest version then ...
>
>> Also, the way logger names are assigned (I looked deeper into the
>> code), is based on the component id, not the logger attribute.
>
> Hmm. At least in my current version (from end of January) tries to
> install a logger category based on the attribute "name".

After using the latest version from CVS, "id" is used now. The current
behaviour is to use the id directly as category. IMHO this is not smart
if you have nested compoments, since the id has other semantics in
Fortress. This prevents the creation of useful logger hierarchies.

Do you mind if I send a patch implementing following scheme:

Use "logger" as direct logger definition if present. Use id otherwise,
but install the logger as child of the parent's logger.

<app logger="app">
	<comp1 id="c1">
		<comp11 id="c11" />
		<comp12 id="c12" logger="special.comp12">
			<comp121 id="c121" />
		</comp12>
	</comp1>
</app>

this xconf would result in following hierarchy:

app
app.c1
app.c1.c12
special.comp12
special.comp12.c121

Is this fine?

BTW: The log format has always a "context" field in parantheses, but
I saw never an entry here for Fortress. What is it used for (or is it
used at all in Fortress)?

Regards,
Jörg