Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Joe <an...@yahoo.com> on 2006/02/27 16:59:04 UTC

unique?

halooo
they say that VACUUM, for instance, is a unique command 2 PostGreSQL, and each RDBMS has its own unique features too, which r not listed within the SQL standards...
Okay, wot r those features unique to derby?
any help or point out is greatly appreciated
rgrds

---------------------------------
Telefonieren Sie ohne weitere Kosten mit Ihren Freunden von PC zu PC!
Jetzt Yahoo! Messenger installieren!

Re: unique?

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Joe wrote:
> halooo
> they say that VACUUM, for instance, is a unique command 2 PostGreSQL, and each RDBMS has its own unique features too, which r not listed within the SQL standards...
> Okay, wot r those features unique to derby?
> any help or point out is greatly appreciated
> rgrds

Hi, Joe,

This is kind of an open-ended question, but I'll point out some features
that distinguish Derby from other databases. Everyone else should feel
free to jump in as well.

1) Derby has a really small footprint -- only about 2 megabytes for the
base engine and embedded JDBC driver.

2) Since the footprint is so small, it's easy to embed Derby in any
Java-based solution and deploy it without the end-user even knowing
there is a database. Deploying the database is just a matter of copying
the jar file and the applications database files, so there's no
"database installation" step. This is just one of the things that make
it "zero admin".
(By the way, Derby also includes a Client JDBC driver that supports the
more familiar client/server mode.)

3) Since it's Java, application deployment is easy; you just compile
your database application once, then run it everywhere.
(There is also support for ODBC and C/C++ applications using third-party
drivers. The http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/UsesOfDerby page has a
"Products by Type" section at the bottom that lists ODBC drivers.)

4) Derby databases are platform-independent, making them trivial to move
from one machine to the next. There's no need to export the data from a
database on one machine then import it into a database on another
machine. All you do is copy the entire database directory.

5) Derby supports a variety of authentication strategies, including a
simple built-in one, LDAP, and user-defined mechanisms; see
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/devguide/cdevcsecure42374.html

6) Derby supports on-disk database encryption; see
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/devguide/cdevcsecure24366.html

So those are a few distinguishing features that leapt to my mind.

regards,

 -jean