Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Franklin Phan <fr...@mindspring.com> on 2005/04/27 04:59:17 UTC

Getting Log4JLogger errors when attempting to start web app

I have not been able to start my web app.  I am using Tomcat 5.0.?.  Everytime I go to the URL, I get "The requested resource (/xyz) is not available" error.
I go to look in the launcher.server.log file and see the following:

SEVERE: Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class com.sun.faces.config.ConfigListener
org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: No suitable Log constructor [Ljava.lang.Class;@1a66c87 for
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger
.
.
.
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: No suitable Log constructor [Ljava.lang.Class;@1a66c87 for org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger
.
.
.
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Logger
.
.
.

Now, in the WEB-INF\lib\ folder, there is a log4j.jar, which contains org/apache/log4j/Logger.class.
In the <TOMCAT_HOME>\commons\lib\ folder, there is a commons-logging-api.jar, dated May 30, 2003; but it does not contain Log4JLogger although it does contain Jdk14Logger.class (both under
org.apache.commons.logging.impl).

Is this commons-logging-api.jar too old?  Where can I get the necessary org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger.class?

Thanks.