Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com> on 2006/02/15 14:29:14 UTC

Performance issues with tomcat 5

Hi,

has someone ever estimated the max possible load for tomcat? We are
suffering from very odd behaviour, as long as tomcat/machine is under
certain load it works very well, but then it just "breaks a magical
limit" and the performance breaks down.
Tomcat or the JVM are starting to leak memory (we are running with
mx800M, and are normally at 600+ free memory, but then it goes to
zero). Tomcat begins to throw absolutely ununderstandable exceptions,
like beans not present in scope which are normally there, socket/pipe
errors, unable to deliver 5xx or 4xx error pages and so on. Busy
threads are going high, from 10-20 to some hundreds.

We are running with jdk1.4.2_04, tomcat 5.0.25, linux kernel 2.6.8
(debian) 32 bit on different hardware, intel or opteron 1-2
processors, 32 and 64 bit processors (up to 4 virtual processors). No
tomcat clustering, no app. server. Our loadbalancing is based on CPU
Idle time, so the amount of traffic on each machine is different,
faster machines serving 4 times more then slower. The faster machines
are serving 100-150 requests per second in normal, and approx. 300-400
requests per second in peak times. Avg. request duration is <15 ms in
normal times (the servlet execution, not counting the jsp transmission
afterwards) and 100-200 under high load.

We need some serious performance benchmarks, but those are hard to
find (most people talk about absolutely irrelevant things like
database tuning)...
Any good links?

TIA
Leon

Re: Performance issues with tomcat 5

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.
Thank you very much David, seems like we have to upgrade.

Posted by David Bishop <d....@waypointsystems.co.uk>.
Hi,