Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2004/05/13 23:19:56 UTC

[avalon] new look and feel

As a result of being cut-off from the internet for a couple of days, I
spent some time putting together a look-and-feel for a new Avalon site.
  The following URL is a mock-up of a single page (the Hello World
Tutorial).  There are no working links - the layout/look-and-feel is the
main concern.

Thoughts and feedback appreciated.

   http://www.apache.org/~mcconnell/avalon

Just at the moment I know that the navigation system will require a
little magic to auto-generate correctly - so don't consider this as a
done deal in terms of technical feasibility just yet.

Cheers, Stephen.

Re: [avalon] new look and feel

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Friday 14 May 2004 05:43, Cameron Fieber wrote:
> Looks nice, its clean and I like the color scheme.
>
> For the navigation menu on the right hand side, perhaps it should be a
> fixed width instead of the dynamic value (I think 24% or whatever it's
> set to) as it gets quite wide with alot of empty space when I maximize
> the page at a high resolution.

Of course it should possibly be dynamic to the width of the text with some
reasonable padding.

I also put on the users@ list that I think that the menu could be placed on
either side with some Javascript magic, so that there is no debate over that
issue.

Cheers
Niclas

Re: [avalon] new look and feel

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Cameron Fieber wrote:
> Looks nice, its clean and I like the color scheme.
>
> For the navigation menu on the right hand side, perhaps it should be a
> fixed width instead of the dynamic value (I think 24% or whatever it's
> set to) as it gets quite wide with alot of empty space when I maximize
> the page at a high resolution.

You must have a bigger monitor than I have!
Anyway - I've just updated the source to set the width to 200px instead
of the 24%.

Cheers, Steve.

Re: [avalon] new look and feel

Posted by Cameron Fieber <cf...@selkirksystems.com>.
Looks nice, its clean and I like the color scheme.

For the navigation menu on the right hand side, perhaps it should be a
fixed width instead of the dynamic value (I think 24% or whatever it's
set to) as it gets quite wide with alot of empty space when I maximize
the page at a high resolution.

-Cameron

Re: [avalon] new look and feel

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Friday 14 May 2004 05:19, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>>As a result of being cut-off from the internet for a couple of days, I
>>spent some time putting together a look-and-feel for a new Avalon site.
>

> Corporate but less cluttered than most commerical sites.
> Big step away from traditional ASF projects, but I count me "in favour"...
> Yet, perhaps the traditional feather can be incorporated, to satisfy the
> purists amongst us, for instance as an "end of menu marker".
>

>>Just at the moment I know that the navigation system will require a
>>little magic to auto-generate correctly - so don't consider this as a
>>done deal in terms of technical feasibility just yet.
>

> I think I can handle that, if you allow me to use XSLT... :o)

:-)

As if I could stop you even if I wanted to!

Cheers, Steve.

Re: [avalon] new look and feel

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Friday 14 May 2004 12:44, J Aaron Farr wrote:

> Also, Forrest has a similar idea with their site.xml.  We may want to
> investigate that a bit before re-inventing the wheel.

I thought Avalon been down the Forrest path and not very happy about it...

Niclas

Re: [avalon] new look and feel

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Friday 14 May 2004 20:00, David Worms wrote:
> I agree with you on Velocity. I find it much more readable and XML
> based rendering tools. It might be just faster and simpler to write a
> small utility based on Velocity to generate what the site based on a
> combination of XML (for the model) and velocity files (for the html
> files to render).

Just for the record; It is not feasible to re-write all the xdocs, so it must
read and transform those docs.

Btw, I think I will be finished somewhere tomorrow with the XSLT/CSS combo to
render the xdocs according to Stephen's mock-up. :o)

Niclas

Re: [avalon] new look and feel

Posted by David Worms <da...@abile.net>.

Re: [avalon] new look and feel