Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org> on 2004/12/21 10:55:41 UTC

[vote] splitting cocoon.xconf

Team, here's a formal vote about splitting cocoon.xconf.

I propose to add a new <import> feature in cocoon.xconf so that
adding/removing blocks to a Cocoon instance doesn't require do merge
each block's configuration in a unique cocoon.xconf file as of today.

With this feature, cocoon.xconf can simply be a list of imports, thus
allowing to very easily add/remove blocks in a Cocoon application. For
more background, please see the initial "splitting cocoon.xconf" post [1].

The first implementation will focus on basic import (one file per
<import> element), and later on we'll implement globbing features
proposed by Carsten [2].

Please cast your votes.

Here's my +1 (of course!)

Sylvain

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=110354180900487&w=2
[2] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=110361460811792&w=2

Re: [vote] splitting cocoon.xconf

Posted by Ugo Cei <ug...@apache.org>.
Il giorno 21/dic/04, alle 10:55, Sylvain Wallez ha scritto:

> I propose to add a new <import> feature in cocoon.xconf so that
> adding/removing blocks to a Cocoon instance doesn't require do merge
> each block's configuration in a unique cocoon.xconf file as of today.

+1

	Ugo

P.S.: will it be possible to import xconf files from JARs?

--
Ugo Cei - http://beblogging.com/

Re: [vote] splitting cocoon.xconf

Posted by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Please cast your votes.

+1

Tony

Re: [vote] splitting cocoon.xconf

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> The first implementation will focus on basic import (one file per
> <import> element), and later on we'll implement globbing features
> proposed by Carsten [2].
>
> Please cast your votes.

+1

--
Giacomo Pati

Re: [vote] splitting cocoon.xconf

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
On Mar, 21 de Diciembre de 2004, 3:55, Sylvain Wallez dijo:
> Team, here's a formal vote about splitting cocoon.xconf.

+1

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: [vote] splitting cocoon.xconf

Posted by Leszek Gawron <lg...@mobilebox.pl>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Team, here's a formal vote about splitting cocoon.xconf.
>
> I propose to add a new <import> feature in cocoon.xconf so that
> adding/removing blocks to a Cocoon instance doesn't require do merge
> each block's configuration in a unique cocoon.xconf file as of today.
>
> With this feature, cocoon.xconf can simply be a list of imports, thus
> allowing to very easily add/remove blocks in a Cocoon application. For
> more background, please see the initial "splitting cocoon.xconf" post [1].
>
> The first implementation will focus on basic import (one file per
> <import> element), and later on we'll implement globbing features
> proposed by Carsten [2].
>
> Please cast your votes.
>
> Here's my +1 (of course!)
>
> Sylvain
>
> [1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=110354180900487&w=2
> [2] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=110361460811792&w=2

Lovely, I won't have to use XPath.
+1

Re: [vote] splitting cocoon.xconf

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Team, here's a formal vote about splitting cocoon.xconf.
> Please cast your votes.
>
> Here's my +1 (of course!)

+1

> [1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=110354180900487&w=2
> [2] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=110361460811792&w=2

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [vote] splitting cocoon.xconf

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
On 21 Dec 2004, at 09:55, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Team, here's a formal vote about splitting cocoon.xconf.
>
> I propose to add a new <import> feature in cocoon.xconf so that
> adding/removing blocks to a Cocoon instance doesn't require do merge
> each block's configuration in a unique cocoon.xconf file as of today.
>
> With this feature, cocoon.xconf can simply be a list of imports, thus
> allowing to very easily add/remove blocks in a Cocoon application. For
> more background, please see the initial "splitting cocoon.xconf" post
> [1].
>
> The first implementation will focus on basic import (one file per
> <import> element), and later on we'll implement globbing features
> proposed by Carsten [2].
>
> Please cast your votes.
>
> Here's my +1 (of course!)
>
> Sylvain
>
> [1]
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=110354180900487&w=2
> [2]
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=110361460811792&w=2

+1000

	Pier

Re: [vote] splitting cocoon.xconf

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 21 déc. 04, à 10:55, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :

> Team, here's a formal vote about splitting cocoon.xconf.
>
> ...Please cast your votes.

+1, thanks for this!

-Bertrand

Re: [vote] splitting cocoon.xconf

Posted by Daniel Fagerstrom <da...@nada.kth.se>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Team, here's a formal vote about splitting cocoon.xconf.

+1

/Daniel

Re: [vote] splitting cocoon.xconf

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

>>I propose to add a new <import> feature in cocoon.xconf so that adding/removing blocks to a Cocoon instance doesn't require do merge each block's configuration in a unique cocoon.xconf file as of today.
>>

>Big +1, big hugs, big pats, huge thankyou!

Wow, with all this support, I *really* have to finish it quickly. Some
evening work during the vacation ;-)

Sylvain

Re: [vote] splitting cocoon.xconf

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@gmail.com>.
> I propose to add a new <import> feature in cocoon.xconf so that
> adding/removing blocks to a Cocoon instance doesn't require do merge
> each block's configuration in a unique cocoon.xconf file as of today.

Big +1, big hugs, big pats, huge thankyou!

Ciao,
--
Gianugo Rabellino

Re: [vote] splitting cocoon.xconf

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Team, here's a formal vote about splitting cocoon.xconf.
>
> I propose to add a new <import> feature in cocoon.xconf so that
> adding/removing blocks to a Cocoon instance doesn't require do merge
> each block's configuration in a unique cocoon.xconf file as of today.
>
> With this feature, cocoon.xconf can simply be a list of imports, thus
> allowing to very easily add/remove blocks in a Cocoon application. For
> more background, please see the initial "splitting cocoon.xconf" post [1].
>
> The first implementation will focus on basic import (one file per
> <import> element), and later on we'll implement globbing features
> proposed by Carsten [2].
>
> Please cast your votes.
>
> Here's my +1 (of course!)
>
> Sylvain
>
> [1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=110354180900487&w=2
> [2] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=110361460811792&w=2

+1

--
Reinhard

Re: [vote] splitting cocoon.xconf

Posted by Stephan Coboos <cr...@gmx.net>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Team, here's a formal vote about splitting cocoon.xconf.
>
> I propose to add a new <import> feature in cocoon.xconf so that
> adding/removing blocks to a Cocoon instance doesn't require do merge
> each block's configuration in a unique cocoon.xconf file as of today.
>
> With this feature, cocoon.xconf can simply be a list of imports, thus
> allowing to very easily add/remove blocks in a Cocoon application. For
> more background, please see the initial "splitting cocoon.xconf" post
> [1].
>
> The first implementation will focus on basic import (one file per
> <import> element), and later on we'll implement globbing features
> proposed by Carsten [2].
>
> Please cast your votes.
>
> Here's my +1 (of course!)
>
> Sylvain
>
> [1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=110354180900487&w=2
> [2] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=110361460811792&w=2

If I'm allowed to vote here: +1000 ! Really good idea!

One suggestion:
Why not optionally scanning the folder WEB-INF for files having a
special suffix (e.g. *.inc.xconf) and then, including the content of
this files under the root element <cocoon/> in cocoon.xconf? This avoids
any changes of cocoon.xconf if own components must be included. Just
placing such a file in WEB-INF makes the component or block working.
This makes it very easy to provide own components for customers by using
build processes like Ant.

Maybe two possibilities: An import element <import/> to import a special
file and a element <import-files/> to scan a certain folder for files to
include at the specified position. An example:
<import-files dir="context://WEB-INF/xconf-includes" suffix=".inc.xconf"/>

WDYT?

Ahh, after reading the messages of the posted links above, I saw,
Carsten has already posted an similar idea. Nevertheless, I will post
this message, too ;-) Just to express that this feature would very very
nice!!

Regards
Stephan

Re: [vote] splitting cocoon.xconf

Posted by Guido Casper <gc...@s-und-n.de>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Please cast your votes.

+1

Guido

Re: [vote] splitting cocoon.xconf

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Ralph Goers wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Team, here's a formal vote about splitting cocoon.xconf.
>>
>> I propose to add a new <import> feature in cocoon.xconf so that
>> adding/removing blocks to a Cocoon instance doesn't require do merge
>> each block's configuration in a unique cocoon.xconf file as of today.
>>
>> With this feature, cocoon.xconf can simply be a list of imports, thus
>> allowing to very easily add/remove blocks in a Cocoon application.
>> For more background, please see the initial "splitting cocoon.xconf"
>> post [1].
>>
>> The first implementation will focus on basic import (one file per
>> <import> element), and later on we'll implement globbing features
>> proposed by Carsten [2].
>>
>> Please cast your votes.
>

> +1.
> For the record, I briefly thought that this could be implemented using
> XInclude and XPointer.  However, I think your proposal is more
> appropriate.

Well, for the basic case, we can consider that <import src=""> is
equivalent to <xi:include href="">.

However, I don't think XPointer is needed here as it doesn't really make
sense to include part of an external file, and it will also prevent
globbing (i.e. src="*.xconf") as it isn't par of the XPointer spec.

Sylvain

Re: [vote] splitting cocoon.xconf

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Team, here's a formal vote about splitting cocoon.xconf.
>
> I propose to add a new <import> feature in cocoon.xconf so that
> adding/removing blocks to a Cocoon instance doesn't require do merge
> each block's configuration in a unique cocoon.xconf file as of today.
>
> With this feature, cocoon.xconf can simply be a list of imports, thus
> allowing to very easily add/remove blocks in a Cocoon application. For
> more background, please see the initial "splitting cocoon.xconf" post
> [1].
>
> The first implementation will focus on basic import (one file per
> <import> element), and later on we'll implement globbing features
> proposed by Carsten [2].
>
> Please cast your votes.

+1.

For the record, I briefly thought that this could be implemented using
XInclude and XPointer.  However, I think your proposal is more appropriate.

Ralph

Re: [vote] splitting cocoon.xconf

Posted by Tim Larson <ti...@keow.org>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>Team, here's a formal vote about splitting cocoon.xconf.
>Please cast your votes.
>
>Here's my +1 (of course!)

+1

--Tim Larson

Re: [vote] splitting cocoon.xconf

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Team, here's a formal vote about splitting cocoon.xconf.

+1

--David

RE: [vote] splitting cocoon.xconf

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.