Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by drew jensen <dr...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/18 16:55:04 UTC

Dealing with a large and diverse project - Native Languages and project teams

Hi,

Recently there has been some discussion on the projects private ML
regarding issues about native language groups and how best to support
work groups which will by definition be somewhat circumscribed from the
whole by virtue of language without losing the cohesion of a single
project focus.

I invite others pick that up here:

Re: Dealing with a large and diverse project - Native Languages and project teams

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 20/05/2012 Rob Weir wrote:
> we should start be listing concrete things that specific volunteers want
> to do now.   Over time then we can notice patterns in these requests

One pattern that already emerged is access to Pootle. We've seen
volunteers show up on this list, request a proper access to Pootle
(which now seems to be either "anonymous" or "committer", with no
intermediate steps) and Juergen having to deliver PO files by e-mail to
overcome this limitation. So, while there are workarounds, this is one
area where the project could be more inclusive; it would only be a
matter of allowing non-committers to register to Pootle as we already do
for the Wiki, so that we can track and evaluate contributions.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Dealing with a large and diverse project - Native Languages and project teams

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<de...@acm.org> wrote:
> When will you be specific?
>
> Are you concerned about the iCLA?
>
> That doesn't stop most people from helping on ooo-users or other lists.  It is not a condition for contributing to the Forums.  It is not a condition for submitting bug reports.  It is a condition for submitting work that is extensive enough to constitute intellectual property.
>
> For what specific purpose do you find an iCLA is required (or election as a committer, beyond that) that is objectionable to you?
>
> I don't think the iCLA matters to most people in the community that you are interested in and it will not arise as a requirement.
>
> Wanting root access to a server in the Apache Infrastructure is a different story.
>
> Please do not over-generalize.
>
> Until you make specific, actionable requests, there is going to be no constructive movement here.

+1 .   I think that is the key thing.  Instead of abstract discussions
about unnamed volunteers and the unstated things they want to do, we
should start be listing concrete things that specific volunteers want
to do now.   Over time then we can notice patterns in these requests
and take additional steps to streamline processes where needed.

I never claimed the project was perfect.  We all know that.  My only
point is that we should deal with specific concrete issues before we
try to solve generalities.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Thank you.

I see that this is about a past experience with another project.  I have nothing to say about that.

I think Rob is correct that the Apache OpenOffice project must deal with specific situations that the project can influence.

 - Dennis

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.
Well I think this issue is quite clear for me, and I feel able to showm how
things work for those who wants to help, here in Brazil.

Thank you very much for your help.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.
> [...]

despite of that they continue to do a great job marketing AOO, without your
knowledge. You don't know them, but we, brazilians, certainly do.
8 - This discussion was already made in TDF mailing lists, without success
for us.
9 - I don't want to bring a polemic issue like that here, because I know
you would ask more and more about it, and some answers cannot be exactly
what you want to see.
10 - I am tired of discussing this issue. I had a wearing discussion with
TDF BoD once and, if brazilian people don't want to speak for themselves,
I'll be quiet also, because I am telling you what is/was happening, but I
am not a spokesman for anyone.

And Rob... There's no "abstract vollunteers" up here. There are vollunteers
you don't know and who are doing a great job, despite the fact you don't

Regards.

--
Paulo de Souza Lima
http://almalivre.wordpress.com
Curitiba - PR
Linux User #432358
Ubuntu User #28729

RE: Dealing with a large and diverse project - Native Languages and project teams

When you give me time to write a proper reply

[ ... ]

Re: Dealing with a large and diverse project - Native Languages and project teams

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.
2012/5/20 Dennis E. Hamilton <de...@acm.org>

> When will you be specific?

When you give me time to write a proper reply

> Are you concerned about the iCLA?

No I am not.

> That doesn't stop most people from helping on ooo-users or other lists.
>  It is not a condition for contributing to the Forums.  It is not a
> condition for submitting bug reports.  It is a condition for submitting
> work that is extensive enough to constitute intellectual property.
>
> For what specific purpose do you find an iCLA is required (or election as
> a committer, beyond that) that is objectionable to you?

No it isn't.

> I don't think the iCLA matters to most people in the community that you
> are interested in and it will not arise as a requirement.

What you think cannot be the real thing, Think about it.

> Wanting root access to a server in the Apache Infrastructure is a
> different story.

Who said I want it? You're mistaken.

> Please do not over-generalize.

I am not. You seems to be a lot precipitated.

> Until you make specific, actionable requests, there is going to be no
> constructive movement here.

Don't worry. I am not interested in more discussions like that.

>  - Dennis

Have a nice day. (or night, or wharever)

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.
2012/5/20 Dennis E. Hamilton <de...@acm.org>

> The extend of "bureacratic issues" will depend on the extent of support
> and acceptance you require.
>
> Without specific requests, there is no way of knowing what conditions the
> ASF and the Apache OpenOffice project might set.
>
> What do you require that constitutes "acceptance"?
>
> What do you require that is essential as "support"?
>
> With regard to mailing lists, there is a fairly simply process to create
> one.  @incubator.apache.org already has ooo-general-es, ooo-general-ja,
> ooo-progetto-it, ooo-users-de, ooo-users-fr, and ooo-utenti-it.
>  Contributors who arranged to set up and support those lists can answer
> your questions here on ooo-dev.  You can also communicate with -owner of
> those lists (e.g., ooo-utenti-it-owner @incubator.apache.org).  See this:
> <http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/native-lang.html>.
>
> There is no PT or PT-BR (can they not be combined?) on the Apache
> OpenOffice Community Forums.  There are ways to accomplish that as well.  I
> don't know if that would be helpful to your community or not: <
> http://user.services.openoffice.org/>.  Operators of the community forums
> are also found here on ooo-dev.

Hi8 Dennis

Just to be clear:

Do you need to fill a form when you decide to help a friend or someone
unknown? Most of people don't think they need. So, some of us will submit
their requests for contributors. Some will not. But they will continue
spread the " cause" and supporting enthusiastically AOO. They will need
support and acceptance.

This is one of the the subjective things Apache Foundation will need to
deal when working with a very popular software like AOO: The boundaries
exceed the technical environment. There's a whole and huge new world out
there.

>  - Dennis

Regards

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.
2012/5/20 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>

> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Paulo de Souza Lima

<snip>

> So I've seen two requests so far:
>
> 1) Create of a br-pt mailing list.  I think this was approved, yes?

Yes. Thank you.

> 2) Request for admin access to MWiki.   I don't think this has been
> resolved yet.

I think I was misundestood. I am *vollunteer* to perform wiki admin issues
if no one else is skilled enough to do that. I am not requesting an admin
access, unless you think this is the way and wish to agree to my
suggestions.

> You are already doing great things with the Twitter and other social
> media accounts.  This is great.

Thanks

> Was there anything else that the Brazilian volunteers need
> immediately?    What other kinds of "bureaucratic issues" are you
> running into?

We'll keep you informed when issues raise.

Thanks.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.
2012/5/20 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>

> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 7:51 PM, Paulo de Souza Lima
> <pa...@varekai.org> wrote:

<snip>

> > Me, Claudio, Albino, Raul and Kayo are already doing that. We don't want
> > play the " proxy" role, so we don't have any private lists. All we
> discuss
> > in Brazil is in a public list. So you can also have access to the
> content,
> > using, perhaps, Google Translate.
> >

> >>  Another possibility is a variety of badges or such for helping out on
> the
> >> NL lists and/or being liaisons .  The NL groups sound like users groups
> >> me, at least historically, so maybe that is a model that should be
> >> considered.
> >>

> > In September there will be 2 large FLOSS events in the same week in
> Brazil.
> > FISL12 and FTSL. People will be there and we want to talk about AOO. Can
> we
> > do that? Of course we are not ASF representatives, but may we talk about
> > the project? Ask for people to join us? Is there some way we can identify
> > ourselves to the project?
> >

> +1
>
> For example, I have give such presentations before.  I just say that I
> am, "Rob Weir, a Committer on the Apache OpenOffice project".  I think
> several of us have done this as well.
>
> If someone is not a Committer yet, they could identify themselves a
> "Contributor" or "Developer" or "Translator" or "Volunteer" or
> something like that.

That's it ! =)

> Taking about the project is fine.  Calling for new volunteers is good
> as well.  These are important conferences.  I've heard great things,
> in particular, about FISL.  So it would be great to have a presence
> there.

Claudio and Albino will be there. Unfortunately I can't. =(

> I know there was talk, on another thread, of a standard presentation
> template for the project.  Maybe we could have some standard overview
> slides for the project, that could be translated and occasionally
> updated?  That would allow any volunteer to give a presentation to a
> local conference, large or small.

Claudio submitted some material and will make AOO presence there.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.
2012/5/20 win <wm...@gmail.com>

> On 05/20/2012 04:11 PM, Paulo de Souza Lima wrote:
>
>> The fact is: there's a lot of people helping AOO and you don't really know
>> them. And they don't want to fill a form to officially help AOO or Apache
>> Foundation. But it would be good to see they are recognized as "helpers",
>> or "contributors", or whatever, some way.
>>

> Perhaps those that can use both the NL and English can be liaisons between
> the the NL community and the community here.  They could help NL users by
> either assisting with posting here if a subject needs to be brought up
> here.  As well they could keep local users informed of what is happening in
> this community.

Me, Claudio, Albino, Raul and Kayo are already doing that. We don't want to
play the " proxy" role, so we don't have any private lists. All we discuss
in Brazil is in a public list. So you can also have access to the content,
using, perhaps, Google Translate.

>  Another possibility is a variety of badges or such for helping out on the
> NL lists and/or being liaisons .  The NL groups sound like users groups to
> me, at least historically, so maybe that is a model that should be
> considered.

In September there will be 2 large FLOSS events in the same week in Brazil.
FISL12 and FTSL. People will be there and we want to talk about AOO. Can we
do that? Of course we are not ASF representatives, but may we talk about
the project? Ask for people to join us? Is there some way we can identify
ourselves to the project?

> On a side note, even English users that just want to help are intimidated
> by many of the same things the NL users are apparently. After months of
> reading this list, I am just learning how to post here, since I haven't
> used an email list in ages.  I don't code, or do html/css.  I'll do what I
> can though, and hope it helps.

=) Welcome to the club!

Posted by win <wm...@gmail.com>.
On 05/20/2012 04:11 PM, Paulo de Souza Lima wrote:
> The fact is: there's a lot of people helping AOO and you don't really know
> them. And they don't want to fill a form to officially help AOO or Apache
> Foundation. But it would be good to see they are recognized as "helpers",
> or "contributors", or whatever, some way.

Perhaps those that can use both the NL and English can be liaisons
between the the NL community and the community here.  They could help NL
users by either assisting with posting here if a subject needs to be
brought up here.  As well they could keep local users informed of what
is happening in this community.

  Another possibility is a variety of badges or such for helping out on
the NL lists and/or being liaisons .  The NL groups sound like users
groups to me, at least historically, so maybe that is a model that
should be considered.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hello guys.. very interesting discussion.

I am new to OpenOffice.org and indeed new to Apache and I
am basically the result of both organizations coming together.

On 05/20/12 16:11, Paulo de Souza Lima wrote:
> Keep in mind the following: OpenOffice.org community has passed through a
> traumatic phase. For BrOffice this phase was much more traumatic, because
> we had many fightings for power. And we are tired of fighting. Contributing
> to Free Software should be for fun for most of us.Suddenly we were involved
> in a war in against some people. I really don't want to relive that
> situation and we decided to get away from LibreOffice and TDF because those
> people we were fighting against became key persons in TDF. We got out and
> founded Escritorio Livre Community. We were seeking some projects to help,
> like Caligra, and others, but when OpenOffice came out from the ashes, we
> thought we could help a lot on it. So, some of us decided to submit their
> agreements to Apache Foundation.

In general I don't follow the LO lists, but it would seem you are not
the only community having a similar situation. I see that there were/are
huge economical interests behind OOo, LO and to certain extent AOO.

The Apache License *is* commercial friendly and that's something we
are not ashamed of. The Apache Foundation has been under attack
since day one for taking this project and, all in all, in that in-fighting
between the different commercial interests, the Apache Foundation
is neutral and will likely continue to be so.

This said, the ASF is not really used to have a project of this type:
many, many users and most of them non-technical but very
enthusiastic. The Apache structures and resources were meant
for another type of modus operandi: more like a technocracy, less
as a user community, and evidently the PPMC has tried hard to
adapt to this new situation but we do need help from people like
you to do a better job.

I do agree we should have native language mailing lists when there
is demand for one. I think everyone is aware that speaking about
development in non-english or local marketing campaigns is something
that will happen in small circles or in companies and for transparency it
would be better for the ASF to have that exchange happen in a public
list and not in private. This said, we don't want to generate many low
traffic lists.

I think you already know how to create a local list: there are processes
and we have to live with them: discussion, call for consensus/vote
then have someone from the PPMC open a JIRA issue. Be patient and
understand it is a process for us too :).

> But the most important is: we want to help AOO (and we can do a lot of
> noise in Brazil) for fun. We don't want to be involved again in economic or
> political issues like we were in TDF/LibreOffice. We are the only brazilian
> community who openly declared support to AOO, who are spreading news,
> presenting lectures and talking about AOO. And who are helping people to
> use AOO. You can see that when we post threads about people like Rogério,
> who is willing to instal AOO 3,4 in thousands of  computer in a digital
> inclusion government project
>
> Today, we are under attack from those people that think TDF and AOO must
> fight till death and have commercial interests in brazilian market. Of
> couse you don't know that, because you don't use to read brazilian FLOSS
> news, despite the fact that Brazil is a huge market for open source office
> suites.
>
> The fact is: there's a lot of people helping AOO and you don't really know
> them. And they don't want to fill a form to officially help AOO or Apache
> Foundation. But it would be good to see they are recognized as "helpers",
> or "contributors", or whatever, some way.

As some have pointed out already the iCLA is not required to
contribute unless you want to become a committer, and most
people don't need it. We can't offer Apache addresses or special
titles but you can use our Wikis for your groups and
with some assistance from a committer (I know I have voted for
brazilians ;) ) you can also add links from the AOO Br website.

Money is another issue; we really don't want to get into the
obscure territory other projects are and we have rules about
the few things we may spend money on (ApacheCon Brazil?),
hopefully you will manage to make your group sustainable
through local activities: one thing is to be a volunteer but to
additionally *have* to finance it is not really fair ;). We also
have no problem with other methods that the previous
license didn't permit: feel free to make your own added value
distribution without redistributing sources (do be careful
with the trademarks of course).

Pedro.

Re: Dealing with a large and diverse project - Native Languages and project teams

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.
2012/5/20 Paolo Pozzan <pa...@z2z.it>

> Il 20/05/2012 20:57, Paulo de Souza Lima ha scritto:

<snip>

> [...]

presenting lectures and talking about AOO. And who are helping people to
use AOO. You can see that when we post threads about people like Rogério,
who is willing to instal AOO 3,4 in thousands of  computer in a digital
inclusion government project

Today, we are under attack from those people that think TDF and AOO must
fight till death and have commercial interests in brazilian market. Of
couse you don't know that, because you don't use to read brazilian FLOSS
news, despite the fact that Brazil is a huge market for open source office
suites.

The fact is: there's a lot of people helping AOO and you don't really know
them. And they don't want to fill a form to officially help AOO or Apache
Foundation. But it would be good to see they are recognized as "helpers",
or "contributors", or whatever, some way.

I know it's polemic, I already had a wearing discussion about this issue in
LibO marketing mailing lists, and I don't want to do that again here.
Claudio, Albino and Drew Jensen could give you tips of what happened, if
they want. Anyway, that discussion is public in TDF marketing list (but the
discussions we had in private lists)

Regards.

Posted by Paolo Pozzan <pa...@z2z.it>.

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.
> [...]

> > --
> > Paulo de Souza Lima
> > http://almalivre.wordpress.com
> > Curitiba - PR
> > Linux User #432358
> > Ubuntu User #28729
> >

> Paulo,
> I am not sure I understand either.  What is missing that would make it
> easier for you to do what you want to accomplish?

Hi Wolf.

Nothing at all, actually. It would be good if we had a pt-br mailing list,
but we are using a mailing list from Escritorio Livre Community. The most
important for people up here,maybe, would have support and acceptance from
AOO without many "bureaucractic issues". We are proud to help and we help
for fun, without political or economic interests.

I think this could lead to a polemic discussion and I don't wish to be

Regards.

Posted by Wolf Halton <wo...@gmail.com>.

Open-Source Software in Libraries - http://FOSS4Lib.org
Apache Open Office Developer wolfhalton@apache.org

Re: Dealing with a large and diverse project - Native Languages and project teams

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I fear that we are back where this conversation started:

     Everything can be managed inside
     Apache OpenOffice project.

Even if I change "managed" to "accomplished" I do not see how "Everything" is achieved without *necessary* bureaucracy.

I think it is time to deal with individual specific requests so that the conditions on being "inside Apache OpenOffice" can be applied case-by-case.  With experience, I think it will become clear.

 - Dennis

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.
2012/5/21 Paolo Pozzan <pa...@z2z.it>

> Il 20/05/2012 21:25, Dennis E. Hamilton ha scritto:
>
>  I want to encourage all that you say here.
>>
>> I am not so confident that the openoffice.org approach (that is, what
>> Sun allowed and supported) is applicable here because the ASF as a
>> foundation must operate differently than a commercial enterprise.
>>
>> That can be a minor thing, once the guidelines are clear.
>>
>> Do you have suggestions on how affiliation with ASF and the Apache
>> OpenOffice project can be reconciled?  Need there be any?  If there is
>> coupling between an NL community and AOO, what arrangement do you request?
>>

> Of course there is no need to do exactly what Sun did, just take what we
> miss.
> There are already good examples of working local communities, so that is a
> good starting point.
> While some communities may have their organizations, I don't think there
> is need to affiliation at this point. Everything can be managed inside
> Apache OpenOffice project.
>
> Paolo

+1

Posted by Paolo Pozzan <pa...@z2z.it>.

Posted by Paolo Pozzan <pa...@z2z.it>.

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.
2012/5/18 drew jensen <dr...@gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> Recently there has been some discussion on the projects private ML
> regarding issues about native language groups and how best to support
> work groups which will by definition be somewhat circumscribed from the
> whole by virtue of language without losing the cohesion of a single
> project focus.
>
> I invite others pick that up here:

That's our case here in Brazil. How can we include people who are not
familiar with English language?

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 11:44 -0400, Donald Whytock wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM, drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:

> >> Has any thought been given to reaching out to language-teaching
> >> communities at colleges for translation assistance?  This would do
> >> dual duty of getting help with translation of top-level site
> >> information and spreading the word about AOO.  There may be teachers
> >> who would consider translation of NL pages extra-credit work for
> >> students.
> >
> > Sounds like a great idea, if, the reason for this project is simply to
> > scratch an itch - in other words if the goal here is to build the
> > software and then not really concern ourselves with who uses it, because
> > that is outside of the scope of this project and left to others to do
> > (and a valid position, perhaps) then I'd say sure, that sounds like one
> > good avenue to work on. In that scenario of the reason for the project
> > we don't care really about building local teams, only in the work
> > product.
> >
> > //drew
>
> I was thinking of a bootstrap.  At the moment, if all the policies and
> procedures and process descriptions are in English, then all your NL
> communities must start with a person who's capable in both English and
> the target language.  If, on the other hand, you mass-produce
> translations of those policies and procedures and process descriptions
> into multiple languages and put them on NL root pages, you've widened
> your community-founding pool.

Hi Don,

OK, I believe I have it now.

> Yes, scratching an itch.  And prying open a door.

Well, I think I'll go wonder off for a bit and let others have a chance
to pipe in as they see fit.

Thanks,

//drew

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On May 18, 2012, at 4:52 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On May 18, 2012, at 8:44 AM, Donald Whytock wrote:

>>> Sounds like a great idea, if, the reason for this project is simply to
>>> scratch an itch - in other words if the goal here is to build the
>>> software and then not really concern ourselves with who uses it, because
>>> that is outside of the scope of this project and left to others to do
>>> (and a valid position, perhaps) then I'd say sure, that sounds like one
>>> good avenue to work on. In that scenario of the reason for the project
>>> we don't care really about building local teams, only in the work
>>> product.
>>>
>>> //drew
>>
>> I was thinking of a bootstrap.  At the moment, if all the policies and
>> procedures and process descriptions are in English, then all your NL
>> communities must start with a person who's capable in both English and
>> the target language.  If, on the other hand, you mass-produce
>> translations of those policies and procedures and process descriptions
>> into multiple languages and put them on NL root pages, you've widened
>> your community-founding pool.
>>
>> Yes, scratching an itch.  And prying open a door.
>
> I like your idea here. It can be done. If the translation is bad then a Native Language speaker might scratch their itch for better language.

It may not be very difficult to do this. A script can be written to use Google Translate to make translations of the current brand.mdtext and topnav.mdtext. I've been planning to rewrite the main page as mdtext. If other pages are in mdtext as well then it will be easy to automatically translate. This becomes the first pass.

This itch has been getting stronger, I'm going to need to scratch it next week sometime. $Job needs some time first.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Rob has provided clear answers to many of the questions raised.  I want to address the choice and use of languages.

I have been on the Apache OpenOffice project since it was proposed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) at the beginning of June, 2011.  I am not a Member or officer of the ASF.  I do not speak for the ASF nor for the Apache OpenOffice project.  These are my personal understandings:

 1. THE WORKING LANGUAGE OF THE APACHE OPENOFFICE PROJECT MUST BE ENGLISH
    The operation of ASF as a public-interest foundation makes use of English essential.  A single working language is needed for governance, project accountability, and public oversight of activities.  It is critical for assurance of the integrity of releases, of other deliverables, and operation of infrastructure and support services under the ASF.
    Having a sustainable community -- following the Apache Way -- requires a shared language.
    Having all deliberations be public and visible in one place leads to "if it didn't happen on the [ooo-dev] list, it didn't happen."
    It is challenging to operate this way.  The principles are important.

 2. THERE ARE ACCOMODATIONS AVAILABLE FOR WORKING IN NATIONAL LANGUAGES
    Have multi-lingual, English-comfortable experts provide oversight and accountability to the Apache OpenOffice (AOO) project.  Create governance arrangements that satisfy ASF and AOO requirements.  The arrangement for governance of the OpenOffice Community Forums is an example.  This requires diligent oversight.  Oversight is not management nor is it direct supervision.  It does require active attention.

 3. IT IS ALWAYS POSSIBLE TO OPERATE DOWNSTREAM AND CONTRIBUTE UPSTREAM
    At Apache, forking is a feature.  So is creation of downstream support and deliverables.  Being autonomous requires clean separation: the trademarks and licenses of the ASF must be honored.
    Ideally, anything that would improve the common code base and shared materials would be contributed back to the origin project using (1) or (2).
    To claim operation is part of Apache OpenOffice, the work must be under (1) or, at the least, (2).

It can all be worked out by discussion toward a mutual agreement.

 - Dennis

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.
2012/5/18 Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>

> Hi,

<snip>

> It is possible to work on Media-Wiki without English skills. You only need
> a small sheet with basic formatting commands. The UI of the Wiki uses
> native language. I don't know how many languages are supported, but I see a
> lot in the drop down list.
>
> Look at the categories FR, ES, JA, or RU to see what is possible. (BTW,
> you will not see a lot of German content, because we had already
> ooowiki.de before the openoffice-wiki started, and that has >1000 pages.)
> You can put a lot of end-user help into the wiki and go far beyond the
> build-in help.
>
> Kind regards
> Regina

It's possible to do more than that. It's possible for users to create pages
using preformated templates and forms.

For example: If a user wishes to include some sort of tutorial in the wiki,
he/she could only fill a form in a page. Once he/she clicks in "Save"
buttom, the corresponding page is created, automaticaly categorized and
displayed in another page containing a preformated semantic search that
shows all related documents together. Without the need to edit pages and
pages of references.

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi,

Rob Weir schrieb:
> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Paulo de Souza Lima
> <pa...@varekai.org>  wrote:
>> 2012/5/18 Rob Weir<ro...@apache.org>
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>>> Not really.  I'm not presuming to say what others should or should not
>>> want to do.  And I'm not going to speculate on what "the project"
>>> wants to do, whatever the heck that means.
>>>
>>> Let's not speculate or deal in hypothetical about how some
>>> hypothetical volunteer from Bolivia may or may not want to do for some
>>> hypothetical grant.  We don't need an elaborate apparatus to deal with
>>> such questions that have not actually occurred here.
>>>
>>> Instead, let's ask of the here and now:  Is there anything any
>>> volunteer on the project wants to do, that they believe that they
>>> cannot do?  I'd encourage them to speak up, regardless of country or
>>> language.  Let's make a list.
>>>

>> Well, as long as you've opened a channel, I have something to say about it.

[..]

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On May 18, 2012, at 11:03 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

>> 3 - Some of them, even knowing English language, have difficulties to reach
>> this list because they feel, let's say, unconfortable in dealing with
>> "famous people" like many of you. =) Apache seems to be a serious place
>> (maybe too serious) for those people. They are affraid to be misundestood.
>
> My philosophy with this project was to try to be the first person to
> make every possible mistake.  I looked for things that no was trying,
> and did them, just to show that it could be done.  I didn't care if I
> looked foolish.  I think we need more people willing to take that kind
> of risk.  I think you will find that the project is very "forgiving"
> of English learners.

I think this is core to the Apache Way. With humility. I've had a similar philosophy.

For me, one benefit of working on this project is learning how to be more tolerant of those who have to read and write the messages on this list.

And, it can be a lot even for those who speak English as a first language.

Regards,
Dave

RE: MediaWiki update (was Re: Dealing with a large and diverse project - Native Languages and project teams)

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
The JIRA Issue has been acknowledged.  INFRA indicates that there are believed to be two Apache OpenOffice project members already able to work on this.

<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-4816>.

There is no information about priorities and any staging for a MediaWiki upgrade.

Meanwhile, the MediaWiki is available for edits and updates and improvements of content.

 - Dennis

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.
Hi Pedro.

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

2012/5/20 Claudio Filho <fi...@gmail.com>

> 2012/5/18 Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>:
> > I opened a JIRA issue:

> Wow! You was more fast that me, Pedro. I was writing now an issue for
> this. :-)

+1

I voted.

Albino

Re: MediaWiki update (was Re: Dealing with a large and diverse project - Native Languages and project teams)

Posted by Claudio Filho <fi...@gmail.com>.
2012/5/18 Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>:
> I opened a JIRA issue:

Wow! You was more fast that me, Pedro. I was writing now an issue for this. :-)

Thanks,
Claudio

RE: Dealing with a large and diverse project - Native Languages and project teams

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
It seems to me that the volunteers can do what those volunteers wish to do.  As long as there is no contribution to materials and code under the custody of the project, it doesn't matter.

So is something else wanted, such as identification with Apache OpenOffice?  Some sort of "official" designation?  Then it is difficult to avoid the need to fit into the governance and oversight requirements of ASF and AOO.  Perhaps an "Apache OpenOffice Partner" or "Supporter" or "Affiliate" arrangement might be easier.  Probably not.

For those cases involving sites and materials that are under ASF custody, ASF governance must be considered.  To "have the keys" to administration and the code base, it is necessary to submit bugs and patches and establish a pattern of contribution first.  And for those who are so privileged, it seems to me that the English working language requirement is part of the accountability.

 - Dennis

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 13:30 -0700, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Hi Drew;
>
> --- Ven 18/5/12, drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> ha scritto:
> > >
> > > I opened a JIRA issue:
> > >
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-4816
> > >
> > > I think infra has actually no obligation to work
> > > on this as MW is not officially supported here. I
> > > even volunteered to help but I actually don't have
> > > any experience with MW so please be prepared to
> > > provide a listing of the extensions and other
> > > things that must be taken into account, just as if
> > > you were doing the update.
> > >
> > Hi Pedro.
> >
> > There is a pretty detailed explanation (review) of such
> > things done
> > already - I'll go back and find the reference before the
> > weekend is out.
> >

> Please add it to the JIRA issue: it's better to leave all
> the information in some central place.

It might already be attached to JIRA issue, I need to go look.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hi Drew;

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hello;

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.
2012/5/18 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>

> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Paulo de Souza Lima
> <pa...@varekai.org> wrote:
> > 2012/5/18 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>
> >

> <snip>

> But what do you want to do?

I want to upgrade Mediawiki to MW 1.19.x or, if it's not possible, at least
to 1.17.4, and install some useful extensions. This shall not impact any
actual function, but will provide us tools to make AOO wiki a lot more
usable.

> Even if you had admin access you should not make major changes without
> first proposing them on the list and seeing if anyone objected.

Yes, I know that.

> I'd recommend that you start with a proposal for what you want to do.
>  Put it in a new [PROPOSAL] thread on ooo-dev.   Once we've discussed
> the proposal, then we can worry about the access controls.

Like this one?
http://search.gmane.org/?query=%5BPROPOSAL%5D+Wiki+upgrade&group=gmane.comp.apache.incubator.ooo.devel

> > 2 - There's a lot of people here in Brazil willing to help AOO, but they
> > can't because they can't read/write/speak English. I can count at least
> > three right now, in our (provisory) mailing list at Escritório Livre.
>
> What do the volunteers want to do?
>
> If a volunteer wants to contribute code, they need to understand C++.
> If they want to contribute to the website design then they need to
> understand HTML/CSS.  And so on.  There are basic per-requisite skills
> needed.  And across all of these there is the need to be able to
> read/write English.   I don't see how this can be avoided.  But there
> is no need to be fluent.  In fact, I bet we could work via Google
> Translations, if we were patient.  But if someone is good with C++ or
> with HTML or other technical skills, then I think we can find a way
> for them to contribute, even with minimal English skills.

They can help in spreading AOO, writing articles, helping user support,
lectures, making AOO present in events (soon there will be FISL, and other
large events). All of those things have to be made in Brazil and in
Portuguese. I thought the example we showed yesterday from that guy who
will install AOO in tens of thousands machines for a govenment digital
inclusion project should be enough.

Most of brazilian volunteers have no programming skills, but there are many
other ways they can help. Including some existing ones like UX, wiki, bug
hunting, and so on. Just one example: Miss Fatima Conti is a teacher at
Pará Federal University. She is a respectable figure in Brazilian Open
Source environment. She's more than 70 years old, she's not a programmer,
but many many users read her blog. She used to write articles for our old
BrOffice.org Magazine, but now she's helping to test AOO within her
possibilities. She can do a lot more for AOO, in terms of marketing. But
wait! We have no "marketing" yet. And she doesn't want to join a English
mailing list because she has difficulties with this language. There are a
lot of other examples. Most of people who wish to help are phisicians,
administrators (I am an administrator with some technical skills), lawyers,
teachers, account managers, and so on.

> In other words, we need to be able to communicate together as a
> project -- all of us.   But we don't need to have huge discussion
> threads.  In fact Lazy Consensus and JFDI both encourage getting
> things done over having lengthy discussions about non controversial
> proposals.

Yes, I do think so.

> > 3 - Some of them, even knowing English language, have difficulties to
> reach
> > this list because they feel, let's say, unconfortable in dealing with
> > "famous people" like many of you. =) Apache seems to be a serious place
> > (maybe too serious) for those people. They are affraid to be
> misundestood.
>
> My philosophy with this project was to try to be the first person to
> make every possible mistake.  I looked for things that no was trying,
> and did them, just to show that it could be done.  I didn't care if I
> looked foolish.  I think we need more people willing to take that kind
> of risk.  I think you will find that the project is very "forgiving"
> of English learners.

Again, yes.

> > 4 - Many of us (90% I believe) came from an experience in LibO. There we
> > faced a lot of issues about using brands, names and logos, because there
> is
> > a lot of misunderstanding about who can or can't use them. Allowing
> people
> > not directly involved with the project to use AOO brand/logo within
> certain
> > clear rules could be very usefull and should help people to spread AOO.
> >

> We receive and approve trademark and logo requests all the time.  We
> just need a proposal.  I can't guarantee that every proposal will be
> approved, but at least we have a process for reviewing such proposals:
>  http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/trademarks.html

Ok.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
<pa...@varekai.org> wrote:
> 2012/5/18 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>
>
> <snip>
>

>> Not really.  I'm not presuming to say what others should or should not
>> want to do.  And I'm not going to speculate on what "the project"
>> wants to do, whatever the heck that means.
>>
>> Let's not speculate or deal in hypothetical about how some
>> hypothetical volunteer from Bolivia may or may not want to do for some
>> hypothetical grant.  We don't need an elaborate apparatus to deal with
>> such questions that have not actually occurred here.
>>
>> Instead, let's ask of the here and now:  Is there anything any
>> volunteer on the project wants to do, that they believe that they
>> cannot do?  I'd encourage them to speak up, regardless of country or
>> language.  Let's make a list.
>>

> Well, as long as you've opened a channel, I have something to say about it.
>
> 1 - I think, because I am a brand new vollunteer, and I'm not a commiter, I
> can't get admin access to the wiki, wiki servers and wiki database, in
> order to do what I want/plan to do in it. And I don't know who can do it
> for me, because TJ has told me it's possible that there's no vollunteer
> familiar enough with Mediawiki who can do that in infra team (upgrading and
> installing extensions). So my hands are tied. Just like many users, I am
> unable to find quick answers to my questions and unable to try solving this
> problem =)

But what do you want to do?

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Yes, that is a meaning for "dour" in English also.

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.
> [...]

clear rules could be very usefull and should help people to spread AOO.

Sorry but I can't remember the corresponding word in English for the
portuguese word "sisudo", so I placed the word "serious". Maybe someone can
help me because Google Translate couldn't.  =)

> IMHO, I believe there is more misunderstanding or even lack of
> knowledge about The Apache Way than there are cases of it not working
> for this project.  Remember, we've grown very quickly, and a good
> portion of the current volunteers did not go through all the learning
> experiences the initial PMC members had last year.

That's a fact!

> So let's make a list of whatever real current problems we think we
> have.  We might be able to deal with those.  But I doubt there will be
> much time left over to deal with hypothetical problems.

Well, those I described above are not hypothetical.

Thanks for this opening.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.