Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Vadhiraj <va...@aptean.com> on 2018/09/14 09:36:36 UTC

JAVA will be licensed from 2019

As per below link JAVA will b e licensed starting from 2019.   Will ActiveMQ
remove  dependancy on JAVA or ACtivemq will buy license for JAVA or ActiveMQ
user should buy license

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/eol-135779.html

Re: JAVA will be licensed from 2019

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
I'm in no way trying to cut off this discussion (I'm learning things, so
thanks to those who are sharing knowledge), but I do want to make sure we
answer the OP's question.

ActiveMQ does not distribute the JVM, nor require a user to use any
particular JVM. The pre-requisites for installation (
http://activemq.apache.org/getting-started.html#GettingStarted-Pre-InstallationRequirements)
say that a JVM is required to be installed prior to installing ActiveMQ,
which means that the choice of JVM, and of support options for that JVM, is
still entirely the right, and the responsibility, of the user. So
until/unless ActiveMQ changes our packaging approach and begins bundling
the JVM, ActiveMQ will not change in response to this change by Oracle.

Having addressed that we can go back to discussing the maintenance
lifestyle and options for the JVM, independent of ActiveMQ itself.

Tim

On Sep 16, 2018 4:11 PM, "Alain Rastoul" <al...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thank you for your comments and answers.

Yes, I understood that oracle would commit to latest openjdk, and as
said by mark reinhold in "who is in charge" talk, that they 'want java
to be around  in 2030' :)
but as you said too, they will not commit to any maintenance branch, and
that is the point: backports and LTS.

I maintain legacy software and could not update my application every 6
months with a new major java version : ok for my code, but I don't know
about glassfish?, spring? other libraries I use like mongo client, sql
jdbc driver? then update old production servers hell ... no way
with the same major java version it is ok once a year if necessary for
patches of course. Nothing exceptional.

After digging a bit, I found a medium post with mention of a twitter
message  talking specifically  about LTS release provisioning  by
adoptjdk (the link you gave).
https://medium.com/codefx-weekly/no-free-java-lts-version-b850192745fb

I did not see it first time but in the adoptopenjdk/support/roadmap
section there is a clear mention of LTS release supported for 4 years.
https://adoptopenjdk.net/support.html
The bug fixes backport is not very detailed but there is a clear message
of intention. Let's see how it works.
As you said this is where maintainers have to step in.
This adoptopenjdk initiative is really nice.

bests,

Alain

Re: JAVA will be licensed from 2019

Posted by Jiri Daněk <jd...@redhat.com>.
On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 9:56 AM alain rastoul <al...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) this is not a about a specific
> platform (windows) JDK, but a change between Oracle and OpenJDK
> relationship.

Yes.

> OpenJDK will not benefit from all Oracle improvments/corrections,
> Oracle will give back it's source code for new JDK version to OpenJDK
> every 6 month, just for the new versions, not it's bug fixes/patches or
> whatever is in it's "LTS" version code,

No, as the quoted text later in your e-mail suggests, Oracle will be an
active contributor to OpenJDK project and all their fixes will go to the
latest released OpenJDK version. It will not be a source dump every 6
months. It will be a steady stream of commits.

That means, Oracle employees will be committing their fixes into OpenJDK
master/devel branch (whatever the convention is), but they will not be
backporting the fixes for older OpenJDK releases as you said (well, they
will, internally, but they will not publish the result into any OpenJDK
"maintenance" branches.). That's where linux distros and other maintainers
I mentioned in my previous e-mail have to step in. I only mentioned Windows
because for Linux, we have all those distros (like CentOS, maybe Ubuntu...)
that will step up here. It is not clear who will maintain WIndows LTS build
and MacOS LTS build of OpenJDK.

So there will be only Oracle's JDK LTS (not free), or new OpenJDK
> release every 6 month for windows, linux & mac.

Plus OpenJDK patch releases in the 6 month period, of course.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards
Jiri Daněk

Re: JAVA will be licensed from 2019

Posted by alain rastoul <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

[...]

"Developers want to move fast and enterprises want stability"
https://mreinhold.org/blog/forward-faster

bests,

Alain

Posted by Jiri Daněk <jd...@redhat.com>.