Posted to user@flink.apache.org by "Torok, David" <Da...@comcast.com> on 2016/12/23 18:20:43 UTC

RocksDB Windows / Flink 1.1.4 - requires Hadoop?

Hi,

I tried to use the newly-supported RocksDB backend (Flink 1.1.4) on my Windows laptop.

However, it is not creating any state and is throwing NPE while trying to call:

org.apache.flink.streaming.util.HDFSCopyFromLocal$1.run(HDFSCopyFromLocal.java:47)

which eventually gets down to not finding Hadoop Winutils.

I am not using an hdfs path....

String statepath = parameterTool.get("statepath", "file:///c:/temp/flink/checkpoints<file:///c:\temp\flink\checkpoints>");

env.setStateBackend(new RocksDBStateBackend(statepath));

I notice that in v1.2.0 the async checkpoint mode has been removed

(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-4340)

In the interim is there any hint to using RocksDB on Windows, or should I just revert to File for my playground?

Cheers

Dave Torok

Re: RocksDB Windows / Flink 1.1.4 - requires Hadoop?

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.
Hi Dave!

In 1.1.x, the default mode of RocksDB uses some Hadoop utilities,
regardless of the filesystem used. I think that was a design mistake and we
rectified that in the upcoming 1.2.x

For 1.1.4, I would use "enableFullyAsyncSnapchots()" on the RocksDB state
backend - that mode should also not depend on Hadoop utilities.

Best,
Stephan