Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by moon soo Lee <le...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/14 09:44:53 UTC

contributing to drill

Hi Drillers.

My name is Leemoonsoo, i'm so excited to find this interesting project, and
i'd very much like to contribute in any ways.

I'm a cheif architect and developer, NFLabs, the company have hadoop based
big data processing solution and it's customers in production.
And recently i was working on similar concept to drills.

I've read mailing list and some read materials related to it.

One my question is How Drill gonna be different, compare to SenseiDB(
http://senseidb.com/) ?
SenseiDB also scalable, SQL like query supported near realtime system.
(without nested data model)

Hope i can make real contribution.

Thanks.

--
Leemoonsoo

Re: contributing to drill

Posted by moon soo Lee <le...@gmail.com>.
Thanks min, very helpful.

However SenseiDB can be extended by Sensei-MapReduce. (yes.. map-reduce)
Group by multiple fields are possible through sensei-mapreduce.
(http://http://senseidb.github.com/sensei/map-reduce.html)

As far as i know, whole data (or filtered data) can be processed through
Sensei-MapReduce. While map-reduce can implement wide range of algorithm,
it's very hard to think senseiDB is limited.

Thanks.

-----
Leemoonsoo
moon@nflabs.com

Re: contributing to drill

Posted by Min Zhou <co...@gmail.com>.

Re: contributing to drill

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: contributing to drill

Posted by azuryy yu <az...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I think this is a good question, as for user, if they have no knowledge
about architecture of Drill or Senseidb, and they just want to do some
query, I think there is no difference.

but If there are other operations, such as update, data load etc, it's very
different, at least I think so. by the way , in this mail list, we never
discuss update and data loading until now. I don't think Drill support
insert or update, just support data batch loading.

Re: contributing to drill

Posted by moon soo Lee <le...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the links.

Re: contributing to drill

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: contributing to drill

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Check out these links:
https://github.com/ApacheDrill/Brainstorm/wiki/Apache-Drill-Links

We will be posting more materials from meetups there until we get the
actual apache site up (which should happen shortly).

Re: contributing to drill

Posted by NAVEEN MAANJU <na...@gmail.com>.
Hi  Leemoonsoo ,