Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by co...@covalent.net on 2001/12/01 08:57:38 UTC

JK versions

There is an important issue to discuss - labeling mod_jk.

As you know, we are trying to make some improvements in jk, start using
APR, etc. That will involve few significant changes - and some people
may want to have a more 'stable' jk.

There are 4 versions of jk:

Let's call 1.0 what is present in tomcat3.2.x repository.

Let's call 1.1 what is present in 3.3 repository. It is backward
compatible with Jk1.0, has many fixes, etc.

1.2 - what is in jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk, the same as 1.1 plus
support for Apache2.0 ( Jk1.1 doesn't support apache2.0 since it wasn't
available at that time ). This version also have support for tomcat4.0
and initial code for ajp14.

I would call '1.2' the version that was in CVS around Oct 15 ( i.e. after
both 3.3 and 4.0.1 were released, before any refactoring was started ).

So far all the changes in the main tree were small. However some biger
changes are needed and are already in progress. We'll have a simpler build
system, support for APR, lot more flexibility, simpler configuration.

I would like to call the next version of jk 2.0, as a number of internal
APIs will change.

( all those numbers are made up - we can call them 1, 2, 3, 4 instead
of 1.0, 1.1, ... ).

What I would like to do is make a branch for mod_jk 1.2, and eventually
build a snapshot.

Eventually we should start a release plan and have a vote on the
names and such.

Since names/labels/versions are allways fun thing to discuss, I'm
open to any other naming scheme - but we need to have one, it's extremely
confusing otherwise.

I will not check anything else into mod_jk until this is decided (
since my next commit is pretty big and likely to brake things,
I did a lot of changes in uri_map, etc. - I need a stable
branch labeled before doing the commit ).

Costin

Re: JK versions

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> There is an important issue to discuss - labeling mod_jk.
>
> As you know, we are trying to make some improvements in jk, start using
> APR, etc. That will involve few significant changes - and some people
> may want to have a more 'stable' jk.
>
> There are 4 versions of jk:
>
> Let's call 1.0 what is present in tomcat3.2.x repository.
>
> Let's call 1.1 what is present in 3.3 repository. It is backward
> compatible with Jk1.0, has many fixes, etc.
>
> 1.2 - what is in jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk, the same as 1.1 plus
> support for Apache2.0 ( Jk1.1 doesn't support apache2.0 since it wasn't
> available at that time ). This version also have support for tomcat4.0
> and initial code for ajp14.
>
> I would call '1.2' the version that was in CVS around Oct 15 ( i.e. after
> both 3.3 and 4.0.1 were released, before any refactoring was started ).
>
> So far all the changes in the main tree were small. However some biger
> changes are needed and are already in progress. We'll have a simpler build
> system, support for APR, lot more flexibility, simpler configuration.
>
> I would like to call the next version of jk 2.0, as a number of internal
> APIs will change.
>
> ( all those numbers are made up - we can call them 1, 2, 3, 4 instead
> of 1.0, 1.1, ... ).
>
> What I would like to do is make a branch for mod_jk 1.2, and eventually
> build a snapshot.
>
> Eventually we should start a release plan and have a vote on the
> names and such.
>
> Since names/labels/versions are allways fun thing to discuss, I'm
> open to any other naming scheme - but we need to have one, it's extremely
> confusing otherwise.
>
> I will not check anything else into mod_jk until this is decided (
> since my next commit is pretty big and likely to brake things,
> I did a lot of changes in uri_map, etc. - I need a stable
> branch labeled before doing the commit ).

+1. Tag it (or branch it) !

Remy

Re: JK versions

Posted by Bojan Smojver <bo...@binarix.com>.
costinm@covalent.net wrote:

> What I would like to do is make a branch for mod_jk 1.2, and eventually
> build a snapshot.

If I'm getting this right, you are trying to preserve 1.2 for bug fixing
a backward compatibility, while focusing on 2.0. Yes?

If so, I'm [+1] for it as it seems very reasonable.

Bojan