Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by BigSofte Vendor Services <ve...@bigsofte.com> on 2001/03/15 22:23:38 UTC

List your software with new feature-based search engine

Dear Software Manufacturer:

We can help you make it much easier to promote your software on the Internet.

Your company is invited to list its software products at no charge on BigSoftE, the first Internet Software Search Engine. Launching this month, Bigsofte provides detailed product information to those searching on the BigSoftE.com site as well as on the most popular Internet IT and Search portals.  More than 6000 software companies have responded to BigSoftE including industry leaders such as Computer Associates, Hitachi, Informix, and Intuit.

Please take just a few moments to learn more about BigSoftE and this time-sensitive offer. Read our FAQs, take a tour of the step-by-step listing process, and sign up to list your products today at http://www.bigsofte.com/vendors/index.cfm?id=42700153

Hurry! BigSoftE will launch in just a few weeks. Respond by MARCH 31st to ensure extra exposure for your company and products during our launch promotions. Sign up now, or take a tour of BigSoftE by visiting http://www.bigsofte.com/vendors/index.cfm?id=42700153

Thank You,
BigSoftE Vendor Services
vendorservices@bigsofte.com
P. 877-947-6383 x 250

Note: The URL in this message was created specifically for the recipient. It is designed for their exclusive use. If you would like to request an invitation for a colleague, or you are having trouble with the URL, please go to http://www.bigsofte.com/listings.

**SOFTWARE RESELLERS AND SERVICE PROVIDERS**
In addition to information on software titles, BigSoftE provides links to resellers and service providers for each manufacturer's products. If your company is a reseller or service provider for software products manufactured by others, then please refer* your business partners who make software and request that they include your contact information as part of their listing. *To refer a manufacturer, reply to this message with REFERRAL in the subject line.

**INTERNATIONAL software companies**
Support for International companies is currently under development.  If you are a software manufacturer located outside the United States, please use your U.S. office address if available, or use a placeholder address and supply us with your correct international address in the comments field at the end of the listing process. We will manually update your company information to reflect your correct address before launch of bigsofte.com. Thank you for your consideration.

REMOVE INSTRUCTIONS
We apologize if we have contacted you in error. To be removed from our mailing list, please REPLY to this message with the word “REMOVE” in the subject line.

Re: List your software with new feature-based search engine

Posted by Paul <yd...@yahoo.com>.
lol....

Spamming a technical list seems less than prudent, doesn't it?
Jeez, I mean, just one anti-social teenager can make nasty packages
like the "I Love You" virus.... what could several thousand experienced
hackers with literally hundreds (minimally) of commercial-grade servers
at their whim do if they were sufficiently antagonized?

My, that's an ugly thought.
Good thing none of *us* are that grumpy, eh? =o)

Then again, we as a group have no history at all at cooperative effort.
Unless you want to count that open-source thing.....

;o]

--- "Randal L. Schwartz" <me...@stonehenge.com> wrote:
> <ve...@bigsofte.com> writes:
>
> BigSofte> Dear Software Manufacturer:
>
> I didn't know people still "manufacture" software.  I thought
> only marketing "manufactured" things.
>
> BigSofte> We can help you make it much easier to promote your
> software
> BigSofte> on the Internet.
>
> Yeah, that's already so terribly difficult.  I'm glad you're here to
> help me!  Otherwise, I'd be limited to putting up a website, or maybe
> starting a mailing list, or maybe having papers presented at
> conferences, or submitting entries to Freshmeat, or maybe writing
> books or columns, or possibly even word-of-mouth, or making sure my
> website is parseable by Google, because that's where all my friends
> use for searching.  Boy, I'm glad there's YET ANOTHER PROMOTION
> MECHANISM!  Lemme guess... it consists of spamming unrelated mailing
> lists!  Did I get it right?
>
> "List your software with new feature-based search engine"
>
> I think I'd rather list with a bug-based search engine, thank you.

> 777 0095
> <me...@stonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
training!

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Re: List your software with new feature-based search engine

Posted by "Randal L. Schwartz" <me...@stonehenge.com>.

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
Dear BigSofte,

You must have read my mind! I do *indeed* have a software product which
I would love to have your help in marketing!!!

It is called ListGuard-2.0 and is an intelligent agent which uses
heuristic pattern matching to detect spam mails and advertising and
purge them from mailing lists and other public forums.

I hope to sell it to the maintainers of public mailing lists so they can
keep their lists free of unsolicited junk mails. Could you help me sell
it?

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.

Re: List your software with new feature-based search engine

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Ask Bjoern Hansen wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
> > > [1] I do the same thing for the lists at perl.org and for whatever
> > >     reason the modperl lists gets about the same amount or more spam
> > >     than the perl.org lists combined.
> >
> > I suppose that's because of the multiply mirrors of the perl.apache.org,
> > which includes the mod_perl list address twice (at index.html and
> > guide/help.html). I don't think this is a situation with perl.org lists.
> >
> > Do you want me to make it harder for crawlers to grab the address? like
> > should I change it to modperl <at> perl.apache.org?
>
> s/perl\.// if so.

of course

> I usually just provide the subscribe address,
> modperl-subscribe@apache.org.

in fact the /index.html didn't have the posting address in first place and
I have fixed the guide (removed the post address). But we still have a
bunch of pages including it:

grep -lr modperl@apache.org .
./CREDITS.html
./index.html
./dist/README
./dist/apache-modlist.html
./dist/.#apache-modlist.html.1.18
./guide/help.html
./guide/intro.html
./stories/convert/indextemplate.epl
./stories/ColbyChem.txt
./stories/idl-net.txt
./stories/wmboerse.txt
./tuning/index.html
./tuning/mod_perl_performance.html
./tuning/mod_perl_tuning.html

mailto:stas@stason.org   http://apachetoday.com http://logilune.com/

Re: List your software with new feature-based search engine

Posted by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@valueclick.com>.
On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Stas Bekman wrote:

> > [1] I do the same thing for the lists at perl.org and for whatever
> >     reason the modperl lists gets about the same amount or more spam
> >     than the perl.org lists combined.
>
> I suppose that's because of the multiply mirrors of the perl.apache.org,
> which includes the mod_perl list address twice (at index.html and
> guide/help.html). I don't think this is a situation with perl.org lists.
>
> Do you want me to make it harder for crawlers to grab the address? like
> should I change it to modperl <at> perl.apache.org?

s/perl\.// if so.

I usually just provide the subscribe address,
modperl-subscribe@apache.org.

 - ask

--
ask bjoern hansen, http://ask.netcetera.dk/   !try; do();
more than 70M impressions per day, http://valueclick.com

Re: List your software with new feature-based search engine

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@valueclick.com>.