Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mi...@schange.com on 2006/10/11 21:23:58 UTC

Changing file permissions?

On Linux, after changing permissions on a file with chmod, svn stat
doesn't show any modifications to the file, which means I can't commit it.
Am I doing this wrong?

Mike

ls -l xinetd
-rwxr-xr-x  1 mvm users 1041 2006-10-11 17:06 xinetd

 chmod -x xinetd

ls -l xinetd
-rw-r--r--  1 mvm users 1041 2006-10-11 17:06 xinetd

svn stat
(no output)

Subversion: 1.4.0

Re: Changing file permissions?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Oct 11, 2006, at 16:54, Michael.McElroy@schange.com wrote:

>> On Linux, after changing permissions on a file with chmod, svn stat
>> doesn't show any modifications to the file, which means I can't
>> commit it.
>> Am I doing this wrong?
>
> OK, now I see "svn propset svn:executable ON 'somescript'". Seems
> odd that
> if a certain mode is set when you do an update it stays set in the
> repos,
> but if you want to change just the mode, you have to do it explicitly.

Subversion does not store arbitrary file permissions. It has a
special case for the executable bit, as you see. If you need more
than that, you'll have to build Subversion yourself, from the
unofficial "owner-group-mode" branch:

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/meta-data-versioning/

Re: Changing file permissions?

Posted by Mi...@schange.com.
OK, now I see "svn propset svn:executable ON 'somescript'". Seems odd that
if a certain mode is set when you do an update it stays set in the repos,
but if you want to change just the mode, you have to do it explicitly.

Thanks,
Mike

Michael.McElroy@schange.com
10/11/2006 05:23 PM