Posted to users@felix.apache.org by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org> on 2013/05/28 15:24:47 UTC

Re: Getting Felix to support OSGi Core R5 (Was: Re: Running aries subsystem 1.0.0 on felix 4.2.1 failed)

On 4/25/13 06:32 , David Bosschaert wrote:
> On 24 April 2013 19:09, Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org> wrote:
>
>> On 4/24/13 14:05 , David Bosschaert wrote:

>>> Is there a list of things that need to be done in order to get to Core R5
>>>
>>> support? Something like a list of JIRAs or something like that?
>>> This might be useful for people who may want to help out getting there...
>>>
>> Yeah, that would be good. I could look into creating some issues, but if
>> you want to do it, feel free.
>>
>> -> richard
>>
>> Let's first see what was introduced in Core R5. After looking at the 4.3/5
> specs a little I think the following is new in R5 (I might have missed
> something though):
>
> * New org.osgi.framework.UnfilteredServiceListener interface

Not implemented.

> * New org.osgi.framework.VersionRange class

I would assume the class is there, since it is part of the API. Not sure
if there was anything else necessary.

> * The Resource API and it's use in the Wiring API

I would guess most of that stuff would be in there since the framework
had to move to the new API.

> * New osgi.identity namespace

Not implemented, should be easy to add.

> * New value and new default for org.osgi.framework.bsnversion framework
> property

Not implemented.

> * support for static valueOf methods in the Filter

Not implemented.

> * Enhanced Bundle.adapt() to support AccessControlContext

I don't think this is implemented.

> * Updates to the Bundle Hook Specification (Bundle Collision Hook)

Not implemented.

> Richard maybe you can look at which of the above are supported in Felix and
> create JIRAs for the missing ones?

All of this is off the top of my head. I will create JIRA issues when I
find the time...otherwise, feel free.

-> richard

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 5/28/13 09:58 , Neil Bartlett wrote:
> I hope I can use this thread to piggyback a more general gripe. When I look
> at a framework implementation such as Felix 4.2.1, it's not immediately
> obvious what level of the OSGi specifications it supports. For example many
> people have erroneously assumed that Felix supports OSGi R5 because it
> exports version 1.7 of the org.osgi.framework package.
>
>  From a tooling perspective this is a problem because there's no way to give
> the user a choice between different frameworks based on what spec level
> they support.
>
> I would like to see some kind of declaration – e.g. a Provide-Capability in
> the "osgi.framework" namespace? – using the manifest of the framework JAR.
> I know that the framework manifest has no role in OSGi, but it is
> nevertheless already used to provide non-normative information about the
> framework; for example all three of the major frameworks contain
> Export-Package headers in their manifests, and Bndtools exploits that
> information for pre-resolution.

It is not clear how this would be useful in general when the
implementation is a work in progress. Sure, it is easy as a boolean flag
indicating yeah or nay to a certain spec level, but how does it help in
a case where a spec level is only partially implemented?

-> richard

Posted by Neil Bartlett <nj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 11/26/13, 11:01 , David Bosschaert wrote:
> Thanks Richard.
>
> I have now also provided patches for the following:
> FELIX-4082
> FELIX-4085
> FELIX-4331
>
> they also work towards Core R5 support.

Cool. Thanks. Still on my "to do"...will try to get to it this week.

-> richard

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Richard.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.