Posted to test-dev@httpd.apache.org by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org> on 2003/05/21 01:08:13 UTC

Apache::Test renaming foo

that other thread was becoming too much to follow :)

I thought it might be a nice idea to wrap up the issues thus far
because it seems to me we have a consensus on how to resolve the
Apache::[Tt]est collision issues.

from what I can see, stas has come up with a few patches that make it
possible for Apache-Test to be distributed such that current
Apache::Test users will not need to make any interface changes.
Apache::test users will need to install/upgrade to Apache-Test 1.03 in
order to be certain that their tests will find the proper Apache::test
module on all platforms (namely OS X).  of course, this all assumes
that the tests themselves are platform independent, in which case they
would be failing anyway :)

in short, the current and documented API is remaining as is (barring
any yet unseen issues :) and only users of the current Apache::test
are affected.

does that about sum it up?

--Geoff

Re: Apache::Test renaming foo

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> Geoffrey Young wrote:
>>
>>> that other thread was becoming too much to follow :)

You just ruined the record we were heading to. It was 62 messages and growing. ;)

>> Or would you rather say, that you are anxious to publish the article? ;)
>

> well, it's less about my level of anxiety than it is about managing
> expectations and keeping everyone informed :)

You can tell Simon to blame me for that ;) or David ;)

>> The latest development on this front is different. The idea is to
>> leave Apache-Test as is, and rename Apache::test to Apache::testold or
>> similar. Adjust mod_perl-1.28 to use Apache::testold and migrate all
>> 3rd party modules to use Apache::testold by requiring mod_perl-1.28,
>> or bundle the old Apache/test in their distros, untill they get a
>> chance to port to Apache::Test.
>

> okey dokey.  is your (meaning everybody) gut feeling that this will
> really work?  or do you think it will end up being rehashed again in the
> near future?  personally, I never had an issue moving Apache::Test to
> Apache::TestPlan ;)

Well, we haven't really asked anybody who relies on Apache::test whether they
are happy with this resolution. But I think since they can always bundle
Apache::test and re-release their packages with just that, they won't get too
grumpy.

>> I'm not sure if we should distribute Apache::testold in Apache-Test.
>> I'd rather see this module as becoming deprecated.
>

> deprecation takes a lot of time - I would have thought it would have
> gone away once the perl-framework was established 2 years ago :)

Yes, yes, It'll always be in mp1. Though we should write in big letters that
if you plan to write a new test suite, use Apache::Test instead.

> it might make sense to deliver testold.pm as well, which would probably
> make migration easier.

Not really, since authors will have to change and re-release their code in any
case, because of the name change.

>> Geoff, it'd be nice for your article to sum up this issue, once
>> everybody is happy with it. Looks to me like a perfect place and time.
>

> well, the article (and series) pretty much focuses on mp2 only - it
> might make sense to mention it there, but the issues (now) are really
> with older stuff (migration paths) than for new development.
> furthermore, I've never used Apache::test and wasn't one of the ones
> with problems, so I'm really not in a position to comment with any
> authority on the issues.  but I'll put in something :)

It doesn't matter if you have used it or not (I haven't). All I want you to
say is:

A note for Apache::test users, the old package coming with mod_perl-1.0:
Because of the filesystem collisions with Apache::Test on case-insensitive
systems (notice the case difference) we decided to rename
s|Apache::test|Apache::testold| in mod_perl-1.0. So please re-release your
packages which bundle Apache/test.pm under t/ or /inc (so it won't get
installed) or require mod_perl 1.28 which will carry Apache/testold.pm.

Re: Apache::Test renaming foo

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Re: Apache::Test renaming foo

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

list-help: <ma...@httpd.apache.org>
list-post: <ma...@httpd.apache.org>

Re: Apache::Test renaming foo

Posted by Jan Price <jp...@cox.net>.
I'm not sure how I got on this list - but please take me off!  I know some
computer languages, but what you're writing is "over my head!!!!!!"

    Thanks,
                Jan

Re: Apache::Test renaming foo

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.