Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Print <pr...@rogers.com> on 2002/03/10 05:10:54 UTC

Apache and OS X (10.1.2)

Hi Any Mac users out there using Apache? I am sure there is

Re: Apache and OS X (10.1.2)

Posted by Darrel Austin <da...@visi.com>.
For the record, you do not have to boot into OS9 to search the
partition with OS9 on it. 'Index' only refers to the 'search by
content' feature.

-Darrel

Re: Apache and OS X (10.1.2)

Posted by Print <pr...@rogers.com>.

Re: Apache and OS X (10.1.2)

Posted by Daniel Lopez <da...@rawbyte.com>.

RE: Apache and OS X (10.1.2)

Posted by "S. David Sheeks" <sd...@isdponline.com>.

RE: Apache and OS X (10.1.2)

Posted by "S. David Sheeks" <sd...@isdponline.com>.

Re: Apache and OS X (10.1.2)

Posted by Bill -Sx- Jones <sn...@mac.com>.
Sorry - that is what I get when I go off to help my broke arm wife !

LOL - my daughter decided to 'add' a few comments of her own...

On 3/10/02 12:37 PM, "Bill -Sx- Jones" <sn...@mac.com> wrote:

> The /private/etc/httpd directory is where the httpd.conf is lohnnnhn
> nnnn/s2.210000ated

Make that

The /private/etc/httpd area is where the httpd.cnf is located...

HTH;
-Sx-  :]

Re: Apache and OS X (10.1.2)

Posted by Bill -Sx- Jones <sn...@mac.com>.
PMFJI:

I host on Unix, MacOS X is sort of Unix-like to a high degree - but alas is
NOT true Unix.

Allow me to fill out key parts to this thread:

The /private/etc/httpd directory is where the httpd.conf is lohnnnhn
nnnn/s2.210000ated

/usr/sbin/httpd is the Apache applicaion

/Library/Webserver/* is the location of both the htdoc root called
/Library/WebServer/Documents and /Library/WebServer/CGI* is the area you
publish your CGI script into

All of this mess is owned by root:wheel  -  Your systems default user is
likely in the wheel group; but it is unknown whether you actually enabled
the root user - that must be authenticated via
Applications:Utilities:NetInfo Manager - then off the
Domain:Security:Authenticate menu tab.

Note that to access the hidden /private area you will either need to learn
to use Terminal or purchase and use BBEdit for OSX.

After all that you will find Apache under OSX functions the same as Apache
on other platforms - mostly.

HTH;
-Sx-  :]

Re: Apache and OS X (10.1.2)

Posted by Print <pr...@rogers.com>.

Re: Apache and OS X (10.1.2)

Posted by Daniel Lopez <da...@rawbyte.com>.

Raw Newbie

Posted by Lew Schwartz <le...@clsystems.com>.
	Could anyone point out a reference for a rank, absolute newcomer
to web hosting? I've just installed my first (RedHat) Linux server and
I've got Apache running, but I haven't even got a clue how or where to
upload the simplest index.htm. My installation is not supported by a
registered domain yet, and I don't even know how to access a page using
it's ip address.

Lew Schwartz
Database Programming and Design
www.clsystems.com
718-336-8225

Re: Apache and OS X (10.1.2)

Posted by Daniel Lopez <da...@rawbyte.com>.
Never used MacOSX, but you should be able to access it from a shell or by some other means.

Ok, I would suggest that you read the following

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2002/01/29/apache_macosx_four.html

(It mentions specifically DirectoryIndex)

and the previous three articles. They should give you a good understanding
on how to configure Apache on MacOSX.

Re: Apache and OS X (10.1.2)

Posted by Print <pr...@rogers.com>.

Re: Apache and OS X (10.1.2)

Posted by Daniel Lopez <da...@rawbyte.com>.
Try /etc/httpd/

RE: Apache and OS X (10.1.2)

Posted by "S. David Sheeks" <sd...@isdponline.com>.

where is apache installed? it is usually under that /etc or
something..

dave

- --Powered By Linux--

> No file found I may have to switch over to OS 9
>in order to search that HD since its telling me only OS X is indexed
>
> Did you try this?
>
>> Alternatively, try renaming index.htm -> index.html
>> You may already have a DirectoryIndex setting for that
>
> - --Powered By Linux--

Project.

Re: Apache and OS X (10.1.2)

Posted by Print <pr...@rogers.com>.

RE: Apache and OS X (10.1.2)

Posted by "S. David Sheeks" <sd...@isdponline.com>.

Did you try this?

> Alternatively, try renaming index.htm -> index.html
> You may already have a DirectoryIndex setting for that

- --Powered By Linux--

> I can't find a httpd.conf file I'll search the HD again
>>> My file is index.htm that plays along with a flash intro
>>> Anorexia.swf website is www.anorexiatechnologies.com
>

> So, does placing
>
> DirectoryIndex index.htm
>
> in your httpd.conf file solve the problem.
>
> Alternatively, try renaming index.htm -> index.html
> You may already have a DirectoryIndex setting for that
>

>>> Whats the name of the index file? If it is foo.html Make sure you
>>> have a
>>>
>>> DirectoryIndex foo.html
>>>
>>> directive in your httpd.conf file
>>>
>>> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_dir.html
>>>
>>> Daniel

Project.

Re: Apache and OS X (10.1.2)

Posted by Print <pr...@rogers.com>.

Re: Apache and OS X (10.1.2)

Posted by Daniel Lopez <da...@rawbyte.com>.

Re: Apache and OS X (10.1.2)

Posted by Print <pr...@rogers.com>.

RE: Apache and OS X (10.1.2)

Posted by "S. David Sheeks" <sd...@isdponline.com>.

try seaching for *.conf  not sure on a MAC

- --Powered By Linux--

>and I reckon its just a text file I can alter with BBedit and
>Codewarrior 7?

> Okay you don't have index.htm as the directory default in your
> config file
>
> If I go to your site i get the directory listing..but if i go to
> your site and type index.htm the page loads...
>
> Daniel's suggestion is the answer.
>
> - --Powered By Linux--

Project.

Re: Apache and OS X (10.1.2)

Posted by Print <pr...@rogers.com>.

RE: Apache and OS X (10.1.2)

> My file is index.htm that plays along with a flash intro
> Anorexia.swf
>website is www.anorexiatechnologies.com
> Whats the name of the index file? If it is foo.html Make sure you
> have a
>
> DirectoryIndex foo.html
>
> directive in your httpd.conf file
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_dir.html
>
> Daniel
>
>> Hi Any Mac users out there using Apache? I am sure there is
>>> I host my own webserver
>>> When in OS 9.2.2 my webpages show up correctly with Flash and all
>>> but When in OS x my webpage show up as a index directory listing
>>> of the files in my webpages folder
>>> Any suggestions to rectify this problem
>>> Thanx in advance

Project.