Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com> on 2004/03/19 18:03:25 UTC

Re: [mp2] httpd, perl process memory usage expectations; Gobs of OO Perl

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 11:51, Jay Hannah wrote:
> If we're using mod_perl (and startup.pl) correctly what ballpark
> memory footprint should we expect to see when we run, say, 10
> simultaneous clients against the server?
>
> Should we expect a RAM footprint something like
>    10 30MB httpd's
>    10 30MB perl's
>    (600MB total)
>
> ? Or should we expect something more like
>    10 30MB httpd's
>    10 4MB perl's
>    (340MB total)
>
> ? Or should there be no perl processes running at all because perl is
> embedded in httpd?

There will be no separate perl processes running.  The httpds will not
really be taking up 30MB of RAM, because of copy-on-write.  Read this
for more details:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/performance.html#Sharing_Memory

- Perrin