Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Narahari 'n' Savitha <sa...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/08 18:23:26 UTC

ROOT webapp question confused with hosts

Friends,

I am unable to decipher this.

I am on windows xp running tomcat as my webserver/jsp engine 5.5.09

I have http://savithari.dyndns.org/vruksha that works correctly.

but

http://savithari.dyndns.org always brings up the default page of tomcat.

I know that I can rename the ROOT folder to be able accomplish a direct hit
to http://savithari.dyndns.org to bring up the page I want.

BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT I WANT.

I want to be able to keep my webpage contents under M:\VRUKSHA which
contains the entire webpage.

I still want the configurate of tomcat to point the ROOT to this folder
M:\VRUKSHA so that I can update the correct folder.

Is this too much to ask ?

If not that atleast tell me an alternate way to much with the ROOT so that
RENAMING MY APPLICATION TO ROOT is not the only solution.

Thank your for your time and help.
-Narahari

Re: ROOT webapp question confused with hosts

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@webtuitive.com>.
Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:

> I want to be able to keep my webpage contents under M:\VRUKSHA which
> contains the entire webpage.
>
> I still want the configurate of tomcat to point the ROOT to this folder
> M:\VRUKSHA so that I can update the correct folder.
>
> Is this too much to ask ?

Uh, would it be too much to ask to read the doc? :-) specifically:

  <http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/context.html>

To summarize:
  Create a file for your context, e.g.

     $CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost/ROOT.xml

  Put whatever file system location you want in it, e.g.,

     <Context docBase="M:/VRUKSHA">
          <!-- anything else you need to define -->
     </Context>

That's it.

HTH!

                          dream.  code.

RE: ROOT webapp question confused with hosts

Posted by Michael Forster <mp...@muckworld.com>.
You need to set up multiple host entries in the conf.

ie

 <Host name="www.mysite.com" debug="0" appBase="webapps/mysite"
        unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true" >
        directory="logs"  prefix="virtual_log." suffix=".txt"
timestamp="true"/>
        <Context path="" docBase="." debug="0" reloadable="true"/>
                 directory="logs"  prefix="virtual_log." suffix=".txt"
                 pattern="common"/>