Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Williamson, Siehnai" <sw...@docucorp.com> on 2000/09/06 20:51:15 UTC

Is this valid?

Hey guys,

Could anyone of you please tell me if this is a valid XML doc and if so,
does element <COMMENTAAR> own all 3 segments of character data displayed
before its end tag (since the <BR/>'s are empty tags)?  I couldn't find the
answer in the XML spec doc and Xerces does not send a validity error.

<COMMENTAAR>
    	Inschrijven bij Thalia<BR/>
	Deelname toernooi gratis<BR/>
	Aanssluitend borrel (niet gratis)
</COMMENTAAR>

Siehnai Williamson
DocuCorp International, Inc.

Re: Is this valid?

Posted by Tony Wuebben <wu...@lexis-nexis.com>.
Yes it's valid.

<COMMENTAR>  has 3 text node children and 2 BR element children.

Re: Is this valid?

Posted by Fredrick Paul Eisele <ph...@netarx.com>.
> "Williamson, Siehnai" wrote:
>
> Hey guys,
>
> Could anyone of you please tell me if this is a valid XML doc and if
> so, does element <COMMENTAAR> own all 3 segments of character data
> displayed before its end tag (since the <BR/>'s are empty tags)?  I
> couldn't find the answer in the XML spec doc and Xerces does not send
> a validity error.
>
> <COMMENTAAR>
>         Inschrijven bij Thalia<BR/>
>         Deelname toernooi gratis<BR/>
>         Aanssluitend borrel (niet gratis)
> </COMMENTAAR>

Without an XSchema or a DTD the document can not really be
validated and so I guess it isn't really valid.
What I think you really mean to ask is if the sample is
well-formed, which it is.
Given that is is well-formed there exists a DTD against
which the sample would be valid, had it been provided.
That DTD would allow/require three text nodes that would
be children of the COMMENTAAR element.