Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2008/07/09 16:47:23 UTC

Re: Publishing the process page

Craig L Russell writes:

> On Jul 8, 2008, at 9:59 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
> >> and section 5;
> >>
> >>     Submission of Contributions. Unless You explicitly state
> >> otherwise,
> >>     any Contribution intentionally submitted for inclusion in the
> >> Work
> >>     by You to the Licensor shall be under the terms and conditions of
> >>     this License, without any additional terms or conditions.
> >>
> >> No, since the death of AL 1.1, there's no need for the checkbox.
> >
> > Thanks Bill, and David for bringing this up.
> >
> > So - the case is made for getting rid of the checkbox.
> >
> > Does anyone have a case for keeping the checkbox?
>
> My understanding is that the checkbox is the way the contributor can
> "explicitly state otherwise".
>
> Without the checkbox, how can the contributor say that the patch is
> *not* licensed to Apache?

Couldn't they simply say so, in the associated comment alongside the
patch?  We're talking about bug trackers here, right?

--j.

Re: Publishing the process page

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Jul 9, 2008, at 7:47 AM, Justin Mason wrote:

> Craig L Russell writes:

>>> Thanks Bill, and David for bringing this up.
>>>
>>> So - the case is made for getting rid of the checkbox.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a case for keeping the checkbox?
>>
>> My understanding is that the checkbox is the way the contributor can
>> "explicitly state otherwise".
>>
>> Without the checkbox, how can the contributor say that the patch is
>> *not* licensed to Apache?
>
> Couldn't they simply say so, in the associated comment alongside the
> patch?  We're talking about bug trackers here, right?

yes, but the data is in a database.  Having the checkbox means the
status is queryable: having a comment means it definitely is not.  I
think this is a big enough advantage on its own to keep the checkbox
whether or not we decide its legally required.

thanks
david jencks