Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Harald Falkenberg <ha...@desy.de> on 2003/12/16 17:54:56 UTC

[users@httpd] caching of file permissions/size/date

Hallo,

we are using apache 1.3.27/1.3.29 on Solaris 8. The content of the web
server is mostly stored in a network filesystem (AFS). We found, that
static pages are handled fast by the web server, dynamic processed pages
(CGIs, SSIs, etc.) take essential more time. - The performance of
directory lokkups (like ls -l) consume much more time as without in our
environment.

We therefore look for a method to cache such file information in apache or
on the system. Is there something known (a module etc.) which matches that
need?

Any hint is welcome

Thanks in advance
	Harald

Re: [users@httpd] caching of file permissions/size/date

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Harald Falkenberg wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> we are using apache 1.3.27/1.3.29 on Solaris 8. The content of the web
> server is mostly stored in a network filesystem (AFS). We found, that
> static pages are handled fast by the web server, dynamic processed pages
> (CGIs, SSIs, etc.) take essential more time. - The performance of
> directory lokkups (like ls -l) consume much more time as without in our
> environment.
>
> We therefore look for a method to cache such file information in apache or
> on the system. Is there something known (a module etc.) which matches that
> need?

Apache 2 has mod_cache/mod_file_cache/mod_mem_cache that do this.  Apache
1.3 doesn't have any native method that I know of.  Some people solve
this by splitting the server in two: a front-end that contains that static
content and a back-end that contains the dynamic content.  The front-end
can then use a reverse-proxy (ProxyPass or the [P] flag to RewriteRule) to
grab content from the back-end and also take advantage of the caching in
mod_proxy.

Joshua.