Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Todd Vierling <tv...@pobox.com> on 1997/12/20 04:16:31 UTC

protocol/1582: VirtualHosts no longer work as part of HTTP/0.9 request

>Number:         1582
>Category:       protocol
>Synopsis:       VirtualHosts no longer work as part of HTTP/0.9 request
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
In an HTTP/0.9 or HTTP/1.0 request, if the full absolute URL is
provided (which must be acceptable as per HTTP/1.0), and in the case
of HTTP/1.0, no Host: header is provided in the request, no virtual
hosting is done.  This breaks some browsers and proxies that "just
worked" on named virtual hosts but that used older style requests, and
this functionality works on Apache 1.2.x.
IMHO, re-adding this removed functionality will not break RFC's.
>How-To-Repeat:
telnet <servername> 80; type "GET http://somehost/someurl"
Note that somehost (which should be a VirtualHost) isn't what you
get, even though you expected it.
I have some guesses about why this happens if a developer wishes to email me.
>Fix:
Re-add the removed functionality.  Since HTTP/1.1 declares an
official method to do named virtual hosting, only do this on HTTP/0.9
and HTTP/1.0 requests