Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/16 18:38:04 UTC

[VOTE] Release Qpid JMS client 0.20.0

Hi folks,

I have put together a spin for a 0.20.0 Qpid JMS client release,
please test it and vote accordingly.

The source and binary archives can be grabbed from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/jms/0.20.0-rc1/

Those files and the other maven artifacts are also staged for now at:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheqpid-1097

Regards,
Robbie

P.S. If you want to test it out using maven (e.g with the examples
src, or your own things), you can temporarily add this to your poms to
access the staging repo:

  <repositories>
    <repository>
      <id>staging</id>
      <url>https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheqpid-1097</url>
    </repository>
  </repositories>

The dependency for the client itself would then be:

  <dependency>
    <groupId>org.apache.qpid</groupId>
    <artifactId>qpid-jms-client</artifactId>
    <version>0.20.0</version>
  </dependency>

Re: [VOTE] Release Qpid JMS client 0.20.0

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
+1

* Validated the signatures and sums
* Reviewed the License and Notice files
* Reviewed the documentation file
* Built from source and ran the tests
* Used the staged artifacts in the ActiveMQ AMQP test suite
* Ran the provided examples against an ActiveMQ broker

On 01/16/2017 01:38 PM, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have put together a spin for a 0.20.0 Qpid JMS client release,
> please test it and vote accordingly.
>
> The source and binary archives can be grabbed from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/jms/0.20.0-rc1/
>
> Those files and the other maven artifacts are also staged for now at:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheqpid-1097
>
> Regards,
> Robbie
>

> P.S. If you want to test it out using maven (e.g with the examples
> src, or your own things), you can temporarily add this to your poms to
> access the staging repo:
>
>    <repositories>
>      <repository>
>        <id>staging</id>
>        <url>https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheqpid-1097</url>
>      </repository>
>    </repositories>
>
> The dependency for the client itself would then be:
>
>    <dependency>
>      <groupId>org.apache.qpid</groupId>
>      <artifactId>qpid-jms-client</artifactId>
>      <version>0.20.0</version>
>    </dependency>

Tim Bish
twitter: @tabish121
blog: http://timbish.blogspot.com/

Re: [VOTE] Release Qpid JMS client 0.20.0

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
+1

Compiled, ran tests, tested against the Qpid Broker for Java

-- Rob

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Re: versioning

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 17 January 2017 at 11:54, Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 17/01/17 10:47, Rob Godfrey wrote:
>>
>> I think there are effectively two "public APIs" in place here, the one
>> between the application and the library - which is essentially JMS 2.0,
>> and
>> so can never really change unless JMS does... and the interface between
>> the
>> client and the AMQP service.  If that interface between the library and
>> the
>> AMQP service changes in a way that makes things incompatible, then it
>> would
>> mean that the client would not work against services which were compliant
>> with the specification.  Since the mapping specification is still evolving
>> I think it is reasonable that we have an 0.x version at the moment...
>> however I would expect this to rapidly firm up.
>

> The mapping also affects brokers of course, e.g. ActiveMQ 5, ActiveMQ
> Artemis, the Qpid brokers etc. So while I'm not arguing that 0.x is
> *unreasonable*, I don't think the lack of a standardised mapping prevents
> the client choosing a >= 1.0 version either.
>
> Out of curiosity, are there any compatibility issues if using this new
> 0.20.0 release against older brokers that would not have been there with
> older versions of the client?

Nothing that I can think of. The changes are mostly new API for
existing features, new features the old brokers wont support (which
the client will indicate when attempting to use them), and internal
changes to support all of that.

Re: versioning

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 17 January 2017 at 12:22, Adel Boutros <ad...@live.com> wrote:
> Indeed, from a corporate point of view, 1.0 and greater version does make us more comfortable than a 0.x which implies a work in progress.
>
> Speaking about versioning in general, I would like to ask the same question for Proton which is still at 0.16.0? We are going to put it in production soon and would like to know how far it is from a 1.x release.

Essentially the same answer, no current plan on this.

> I think these are the only 2 components still in 0.x version and providing some roadmap regarding a general public release would be benefitial for clients using these libraries.

Don't forget Dispatch :)

Re: versioning

Re: versioning

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: versioning

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Re: versioning

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 17 January 2017 at 11:37, Adel Boutros <Ad...@live.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> If I understand correctly, you are in a way mapping the JMS release cycle
> to the AMQP support and the JMS specs. So 0.x is still used because support
> form AQM 1.0 is not done yet and when it will be, you will release JMS
> client 1.0.
>
> That not any sort of official policy, more my view of one reason we might
be considering to hold off declaring a version 1.0.

> However, in my humble opinion, your API is public and very widely used. My
> question was founded on the semantic versioning as defined here (
> http://semver.org/).
>
> This is why I think 1.0.0 should be already the case for JMS Client.

I think there are effectively two "public APIs" in place here, the one
between the application and the library - which is essentially JMS 2.0, and
so can never really change unless JMS does... and the interface between the
client and the AMQP service.  If that interface between the library and the
AMQP service changes in a way that makes things incompatible, then it would
mean that the client would not work against services which were compliant
with the specification.  Since the mapping specification is still evolving
I think it is reasonable that we have an 0.x version at the moment...
however I would expect this to rapidly firm up.

I'll defer to Robbie/Tim who are more closely involved in the client work
to give their views on what they believe are the necessary conditions for
the client to hit a 1.0 release.

I would definitely like to get us to commit to a 1.0 release this year -
and preferably fairly early in the year - but the folks actually working on
this will need to be the ones making the call here.

-- Rob

Re: versioning

Re: versioning

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: versioning

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
I must admit that I took Tim's comment (after a moment of reflection) as
meaning "we haven't finalised the timeline for our 1.0 release yet" rather
than "we don't have any plans to ever release to 1.0".

The only potential external pre-condition we might lace on a 1.0 release is
the completion of the AMQP <-> JMS mapping work at OASIS, such that we know
we are not going to have to make breaking changes to be in line with that
specification.  Even there I think we can be (much) less cautious than we
were with AMQP 1.0.

Since members from the Qpid community are the primary contributors to the
OASIS mappng effort, I think we should set ourselves a target for the
completion of that work, and also to releasing a 1.0 version of the client
within the same timeframe (and that being within this calendar year).

versioning

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 16 January 2017 at 20:38, Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/16/2017 02:29 PM, Adel Boutros wrote:
>>
>> Hello Robbie,
>>

>> Out of curiosity, can you please explain why the release is 0.20.0 and not
>> 0.12.0?
>>
>> When will an official 1.0.0 be out?
>

> The main reason for the bump is that this version now implements the JMS 2.0
> API and is therefore a larger shift in features and code changes that a
> version 0.12.0 would imply.
>
> There are no plans for a 1.0.0 release at this time.

Another reason was that it was always going to take some months to
complete the new work, and it wasn't clear whether we might need or
want to do additional releases on the existing release line during
that time, so I left a gap to facilitate doing so rather than needing
to bump master each time. In the end we only did one such release.

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lorenz Quack <qu...@gmail.com>.
+1

* validated the checksums
* built from source & ran tests
* ran Hello World example against Qpid Broker for Java 6.1.1

Posted by Oleksandr Rudyy <or...@gmail.com>.
+1

I tested shared subscription functionality against WIP shared
subscription support for Java Broker. No issue is found so far.

Posted by Keith W <ke...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Jakub Scholz <ja...@scholz.cz>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.