Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Laurie Harper <la...@holoweb.net> on 2006/02/06 07:26:14 UTC

[OT] ASF legal

What's the best way of getting hold of an ASF legal maven? I've been
doing a bunch of work with Dojo recently and one fly in the ointment is
that they require filing a CLA before they'll accept patches, even for
minor bug fixes.

The reason they do that is they want to be absolutely safe, which I
understand. But since it doesn't work that way round here, I thought I'd
see if I could get an IAAL (as opposed to an IANAL :-) opinion on why
it's not needed.

This could help the Dojo project out quite a bit, since they often
receive patches from casual users who probably aren't going to go to the
trouble of filing a CLA. They'd like to drop the requirement, and a
legal opinion explaining why that would be OK would be a great help.

Is there a legal@apache or something I can post this query to?

L.

Re: [OT] ASF legal

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
On 2/6/06, Laurie Harper <la...@holoweb.net> wrote:
> The reason they do that is they want to be absolutely safe, which I
> understand. But since it doesn't work that way round here, I thought I'd
> see if I could get an IAAL (as opposed to an IANAL :-) opinion on why
> it's not needed.

We can exercise some discretion as to minor patches, but for larger
contributions, especially for anything that could stand alone,
nowadays, ASF PMCs can and do ask for CLAs. It's just a matter of
degree. I very much doubt that anyone on legal-discuss@ is going to
say that it's wrong to require a CLA for everything that goes into the
codebase.

-Ted.

Re: [OT] ASF legal

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 2/5/06, Laurie Harper <la...@holoweb.net> wrote:

> What's the best way of getting hold of an ASF legal maven? I've been
> doing a bunch of work with Dojo recently and one fly in the ointment is
> that they require filing a CLA before they'll accept patches, even for
> minor bug fixes.
>
> The reason they do that is they want to be absolutely safe, which I
> understand. But since it doesn't work that way round here, I thought I'd
> see if I could get an IAAL (as opposed to an IANAL :-) opinion on why
> it's not needed.
>
> This could help the Dojo project out quite a bit, since they often
> receive patches from casual users who probably aren't going to go to the
> trouble of filing a CLA. They'd like to drop the requirement, and a
> legal opinion explaining why that would be OK would be a great help.
>
> Is there a legal@apache or something I can post this query to?

There's a legal-discuss@a.o, which would be the place to start. There's also
a legal-internal@a.o, but I expect the -discuss list should suffice in this
case.