Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Miguel Camargo <mi...@hotmail.com> on 2002/05/22 14:17:49 UTC

Development documentation

Hello:

I am new in the list and i don´t know if this is the correct place for my
problem.

I am doing a proyect with Apache and i need to know how works Apache
internally. I need to look into its source code and try to understand how it
goes more or less.

My problem is that i have downloaded the latest version of the server
httpd-2.0.36 and i have been looking into its source code but is really
complex to try to understand it looking at first into the code, and i would
like to know if there is some kind of guide or document anywhere that could
explain in some way the source tree structure and the internals of the
server, that could guide me to understand the source tree of apache.

I apologize if this question is not apropiate in this mailing list.

Thank you!

Re: Development documentation

Posted by Daniel Lopez <da...@rawbyte.com>.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/developer/

Most people do not need to modify the server itself, but rather just write a
module. In that case pick one of the simple ones that come in the
distribution and see how things work.

Have a look at Doug MacEachern's Writing Apache Modules with mod_perl and C
It is an excellent book, but only covers 1.3 but a lot of the concepts are
very similar and will help you get started

Daniel