Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Robert Elwell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/15 23:48:04 UTC

UIMA Tutorial

Hello there,

I noticed your "getting started" tutorial is out of date. You're directing
us to a directory that no longer exists to run 'mvn install'. I looked
through your svn logs, and it looks like you put the project folder in the
trunk folder now. So you don't really have to tell us to navigate anywhere
other than the folder that we checked out. Getting out-of-date instructions
is always discouraging when starting a new project, so it'd be great if
someone could update those docs. I would, but you're not presently using a
wiki :)

Thanks!

--
Robert Elwell
http://robertelwell.info

Re: UIMA Tutorial

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the update.

You can actually do most of the work of updating the docs.  Perhaps we need to
update our website to describe how to do this :-)

If you want to try doing it, here's the basic idea:

Our docs are kept in SVN here:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/site/trunk/uima-website

To update the site, you do an svn checkout of the site, and edit the affected
files in the "xdocs" subdirectory.  You can test what you did by running the
build.xml file in the top most directory, which "builds" the site by creating
corresponding files in the "docs" directory (don't edit the "docs" directory
yourself - it's generated via this process from changes in the "xdocs" directory.

When you have everything the way you want, you can create patch files from your
changes to the xdocs files, make a new Jira issue, and attach your patches.

-Marshall