Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Saptarshi Guha <sa...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/19 23:11:46 UTC

Adding packages to the HBase AMI (ami-fe698397 and ami-c86983a1) - no space on device

Hello,

Both packages have HBAse 0.89.20100726 installed, the former is c1.xlarge
and the latter is medium).
I'm trying to install some extra packages (see [1])

By the time I've come to install R, I'm almost out of space on the root
device. I would like to add some packages to the
task nodes (which are laucnehd from the c1.xlarge instance)  and install
thrift - but I can't even get to the point.

The images start of with 3Gb on the root device and 2.3 used. By the time it
comes to the last yum, there is about << 200MB left.
R requires 444 mb.

Q1: Are there ways to increase the size of the  root device?
Q2: Any other ideas?

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Cheers
Joy

[1]

yum update
yum upgrade

yum install -y gcc-c++.x86_64
yum install -y ant automake libtool flex bison pkgconfig libevent-devel
ruby-devel php php-devel
yum install -y boost-devel libevent-devel libtool
yum install -y atlas-devel atlas-sse-devel atlas-sse2-devel
yum install -y R

Re: Adding packages to the HBase AMI (ami-fe698397 and ami-c86983a1) - no space on device

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
> I'd have to link /lib/ etc to /mnt or something.

Yes.

Copy first. Then use bind mounts ('mount --bind ...') to overlay the additional storage wherever you prefer in the filesystem hierarchy.

Then invoke yum.

I am sure there are other approaches but the above can be scripted easily enough.

If you want an elegant solution, make your own HBase+Hadoop AMIs that have an EBS root volume instead. But, you will have to modify the scripts.

Best regards,

    - Andy

Posted by Saptarshi Guha <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.