Posted to user@beam.apache.org by Ivan San Jose <is...@theworkshop.com> on 2020/06/03 14:47:15 UTC

Error restoring Flink checkpoint

Hi, we have a Beam application running with Flink runner and we are
struggling using Flink checkpoints. Everytime we evolve the source code
modifying a Java model, an exception is thrown when trying to restore
last checkpoint taken:

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Could not Java-deserialize
TypeSerializer while restoring checkpoint metadata for serializer
snapshot
'org.apache.beam.runners.flink.translation.types.CoderTypeSerializer$Le
gacySnapshot'. Please update to the TypeSerializerSnapshot interface
that removes Java Serialization to avoid this problem in the future.
at
org.apache.flink.api.common.typeutils.TypeSerializerConfigSnapshot.rest
oreSerializer(TypeSerializerConfigSnapshot.java:138)
at
org.apache.flink.runtime.state.StateSerializerProvider.previousSchemaSe
rializer(StateSerializerProvider.java:189)
at
org.apache.flink.runtime.state.StateSerializerProvider.currentSchemaSer
ializer(StateSerializerProvider.java:164)
at
org.apache.flink.runtime.state.RegisteredOperatorStateBackendMetaInfo.g
etPartitionStateSerializer(RegisteredOperatorStateBackendMetaInfo.java:
113)
at
org.apache.flink.runtime.state.OperatorStateRestoreOperation.restore(Op
eratorStateRestoreOperation.java:94)
at
org.apache.flink.runtime.state.DefaultOperatorStateBackendBuilder.build
(DefaultOperatorStateBackendBuilder.java:83)
... 12 more
Caused by: java.io.InvalidClassException:
internal.model.dimension.Dimension; local class incompatible: stream
classdesc serialVersionUID = -223148029368332375, local class
serialVersionUID = 4489864664852536553

As you can see the exception is complaining about class was evolved and
they are not compatible any more.

After checking some documentation and Beam source code...
https://flink.apache.org/ecosystem/2020/02/22/apache-beam-how-beam-runs-on-top-of-flink.html (Serializers vs
Coders)
https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/785609f22d013411b7973bbf9e2d15c3c8171fb2/runners/flink/1.8/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/runners/flink/translation/types/CoderTypeSerializer.java

It seems that Beam coders are wrapped into Flink's TypeSerializers,
and, at the end, Beam coders are the ones in charge of
serialize/deserialize objects.

Also reading
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.10/dev/stream/state/custom_serialization.html#migrating-from-deprecated-serializer-snapshot-apis-before-flink-17
, and seeing CoderTyperSerializer implementation it seems Beam is
implementing a deprecated interface and should be moved to new
TypeSerializerSnapshot one. To be honest I don't know if that would
solve my problem, but the exception is clearly saying "Please update to
the TypeSerializerSnapshot interface that removes Java Serialization to
avoid this problem in the future.", so I gues would solve it.

Can someone help me here? I could try to update the implementation if
someone give me some hints, because right now I'm a little bit lost.

Thanks

Este correo electrónico y sus adjuntos son de naturaleza confidencial. A no ser que usted sea el destinatario, no puede utilizar, copiar o desvelar tanto el mensaje como cualquier información contenida en el mensaje. Si no es el destinatario, debe borrar este correo y notificar al remitente inmediatamente. Cualquier punto de vista u opinión expresada en este correo electrónico son únicamente del remitente, a no ser que se indique lo contrario. Todos los derechos de autor en cualquier material de este correo son reservados. Todos los correos electrónicos, salientes o entrantes, pueden ser grabados y monitorizados para uso legítimo del negocio. Nos encontramos exentos de toda responsabilidad ante cualquier perdida o daño que surja o resulte de la recepción, uso o transmisión de este correo electrónico hasta el máximo permitido por la ley.

This email and any attachment to it are confidential. Unless you are the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose either the message or any information contained in the message. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this email and notify the sender immediately. Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the sender only, unless otherwise stated. All copyright in any of the material in this email is reserved. All emails, incoming and outgoing, may be recorded and monitored for legitimate business purposes. We exclude all liability for any loss or damage arising or resulting from the receipt, use or transmission of this email to the fullest extent permitted by law.