Posted to dev@kudu.apache.org by Mike Percy <mp...@apache.org> on 2018/11/07 02:45:20 UTC

Issues connecting to gerrit.cloudera.org from China?

Hi, I wanted to ask folks in the community if anybody in China has had
problems connecting to gerrit.cloudera.org due to the GFW. Specifically
port 29418 as described in the Gerrit setup docs at
https://kudu.apache.org/docs/contributing.html#_initial_setup_for_gerrit

One contributor is getting an SSH timeout when trying to install the Gerrit
commit hook, and we were trying to decide if it's the GFW or a separate
kind of network issue. I was not previously aware of GFW-related connection
problems to gerrit.cloudera.org so maybe it's something new.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Issues connecting to gerrit.cloudera.org from China?

Posted by Mike Percy <mp...@apache.org>.
I've been informed that the SSH port issue has been a problem for a long
time, and the workaround is to use HTTPS instead of SSH. I've posted an
update to the documentation so that the instructions don't rely on SSH to
install the commit hook anymore: https://gerrit.cloudera.org/#/c/11896/

Please let me know if there are any other similar types of issues making it
difficult to contribute or access the systems we rely on during development.

Best regards,
Mike