Posted to users@maven.apache.org by kawazu <ka...@zimmer428.net> on 2008/05/22 22:41:20 UTC

versions on central-repo (stupid question)?

Folks;

after merrily using maven2 for quite a while, by now I dealt with
defining dependency using version ranges for the first time - and
failed, not sure why. Maybe I am just too stupid, and maybe someone can
help me outta this?

Example: Dependency defined is

        <dependency>
            <groupId>jmimemagic</groupId>
            <artifactId>jmimemagic</artifactId>
            <version>[0.1,)</version>
            <scope>compile</scope>
        </dependency>

Looking to repo1.maven.org/maven2/jmimemagic/jmimemagic, I see there are
three different artifacts around (0.0.4a, 0.1.1, 0.1.2), and so as I
understodd this kind of version specification, I'd kinda expect maven to
use 0.1.2 in this situation. However, running "mvn -U install" on the
project ends up like this:

[...]
Couldn't find a version in [0.0.4a] to match range [0.1,)
  jmimemagic:jmimemagic:jar:null

from the specified remote repositories:
  central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)
[...]

Not quite what I expected to happen. My fault, or something I just
misunderstood? Maven version is 2.0.8, running a pretty recent Sun JDK... :/

TIA and best regards,
Kristian

Re: versions on central-repo (stupid question)?

Posted by Heinrich Nirschl <he...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 8:20 AM, kawazu <ka...@zimmer428.net> wrote:
> Ah, I see. So basically, in situations like this the only way is to
> avoid using version ranges and defining a fixed version for an artifact
> used?

As far as I know, yes. You could also open a JIRA to get it fixed.
Here are a few examples of similar reports:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MEV-441
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MEV-443

Seems, that's not something that will be solved soon.

- Henry

Re: versions on central-repo (stupid question)?

Posted by kawazu <ka...@zimmer428.net>.
Henry;

first off, thanks for your comment on that.

Posted by Heinrich Nirschl <he...@gmail.com>.