Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu> on 2002/09/26 16:10:32 UTC

RE: Questions about " [SECURITY] Apache Tomcat 4.x JSP source dis closure vulnerability"

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Andreas Mohrig wrote:

> The servlet to be disabled is the invoker servlet, not the
> DefaultServlet.  The reason you see "DefaultServlet" so much in
> these postings is that the DefaultServlet can be "tricked" into
> serving the sources of your jsp's by invoking it over the invoker
> servlet, thereby treating jsp's like static content. But the trouble
> is originating in the invoker servlet.

Right.  And to add a bit of perhaps clarifying information, "invoking"
in this context means calling a servlet using a URL of the form:

  http://www.domain.com/context/servlet/full.class.name.of.servlet

that is, "/servlet" is a virtual directory that invokes the invoker
servlet, and "full.class.name.of.servlet" includes the package and
class name of the servlet class.  This was the main/only way of
calling servlets way back when, but now the favored way is to define
servlets in web.xml.  And some say this invoking method of calling
servlets should be disabled as a security precaution anyway, and only
defined servlets should be allowed (i.e., even before this bug showed
up).

This is all controlled by a servlet definition and mapping in the
web.xml (in Tomcat 4.0.X, at least, and I assume 4.1.X as well) --
look for "invoker" in it.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
mepstein@uiuc.edu