Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Matt Zandstra <ma...@corrosive.co.uk> on 2001/04/01 16:08:29 UTC

org.apache.crimson.tree.XmlDocumentBuilder#setElementFactory

Hi

I hope I'm not retreading old ground here, but I'm new to the list
and the archive is currently incomplete (unless it's mirrored
somewhere other than xml.apache.org?).

Anyway, my project was based on Project X, and on moving to Crimson
I've noticed that element factories are now deprecated, which throws
a spanner in my works somewhat.

I've been subclassing ElementNode (and using SimpleElementFactory) in
order to create application specific behaviour. Is there any way that
I can continue to subclass ElementNode without using deprecated
methods?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated -- I'm days away from a deadline.

tia

matt z

Re: org.apache.crimson.tree.XmlDocumentBuilder#setElementFactory

Posted by Edwin Goei <Ed...@sun.com>.
Matt Zandstra wrote:

> Hi
>
> I hope I'm not retreading old ground here, but I'm new to the list
> and the archive is currently incomplete (unless it's mirrored
> somewhere other than xml.apache.org?).

I've been using the marc.theaimsgroup.com mail archives.

> Anyway, my project was based on Project X, and on moving to Crimson
> I've noticed that element factories are now deprecated, which throws
> a spanner in my works somewhat.
>
> I've been subclassing ElementNode (and using SimpleElementFactory) in
> order to create application specific behaviour. Is there any way that
> I can continue to subclass ElementNode without using deprecated
> methods?

Is there a reason for you to upgrade?  If so then element factories
should still work but they may not work right if you use namespaces in
your document.  The namespace code in the parser was rewhacked.  The
JAXP API does not include element factories b/c they are an internal API
and ties your app to a specific parser.

-Edwin