Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Michael Giroux <ml...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/23 19:25:41 UTC

Log4JLogChute isn't a valid LogChute???

I'm developing an Eclipse plug-in that uses Velocity.  In fact, There
are three plug-ins that use Velocity.  One of these was built with
Velocity 1.5.  The other two were build with Velocity 1.4.  All three
were working nicely.  I updated the two that were using Velocity 1.4
to Velocity 1.5 and started getting the following error from the on
that was previously working perfectly.

I'm using the Velocity-dep-1.5.jar in all three projects.  Can anyone
suggest what I might have messed up to create this error?

Michael Giroux
----
Mar 23, 2007 11:15:24 AM org.apache.velocity.runtime.log.JdkLogChute log
SEVERE: The specifid logger class
org.apache.velocity.runtime.log.Log4JLogChute isn't a valid LogChute
implementation.
Mar 23, 2007 11:15:24 AM org.apache.velocity.runtime.log.JdkLogChute log
SEVERE: The specified class for ResourceManager
(org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.ResourceManagerImpl) does not
implement org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.ResourceManager;
Velocity is not initialized correctly.
java.lang.Exception: The specified class for ResourceManager
(org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.ResourceManagerImpl) does not
implement org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.ResourceManager;
Velocity is not initialized correctly.
	at org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeInstance.initializeResourceManager(RuntimeInstance.java:589)
	at org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeInstance.init(RuntimeInstance.java:241)
	at org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeInstance.init(RuntimeInstance.java:534)
	at org.apache.velocity.app.VelocityEngine.init(VelocityEngine.java:144)

Re: Log4JLogChute isn't a valid LogChute???

Posted by Michael Giroux <ml...@gmail.com>.
> can you tell us anymore about your setup?  where jars are at?

velocity-dep-1.5.jar is in the Eclipse plug-in classpath.

> how they're being loaded?

Velocity is called from an Eclipse plug-in, so we are running in Eclipse.

>  also, are you using the Velocity singleton at
> all, or are you using VelocityEngine's?

All references are to VelocityEngine.

    VelocityEngine velocityEngine = new VelocityEngine();

Re: Log4JLogChute isn't a valid LogChute???

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On 3/23/07, Michael Giroux <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm developing an Eclipse plug-in that uses Velocity.  In fact, There
> are three plug-ins that use Velocity.  One of these was built with
> Velocity 1.5.  The other two were build with Velocity 1.4.  All three
> were working nicely.  I updated the two that were using Velocity 1.4
> to Velocity 1.5 and started getting the following error from the on
> that was previously working perfectly.
>
> I'm using the Velocity-dep-1.5.jar in all three projects.  Can anyone
> suggest what I might have messed up to create this error?
>
> Michael Giroux
> ----
> Mar 23, 2007 11:15:24 AM org.apache.velocity.runtime.log.JdkLogChute log
> SEVERE: The specifid logger class
> org.apache.velocity.runtime.log.Log4JLogChute isn't a valid LogChute
> implementation.
> Mar 23, 2007 11:15:24 AM org.apache.velocity.runtime.log.JdkLogChute log
> SEVERE: The specified class for ResourceManager
> (org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.ResourceManagerImpl) does not
> implement org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.ResourceManager;
> Velocity is not initialized correctly.
> java.lang.Exception: The specified class for ResourceManager
> (org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.ResourceManagerImpl) does not
> implement org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.ResourceManager;
> Velocity is not initialized correctly.
>         at org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeInstance.initializeResourceManager(RuntimeInstance.java:589)
>         at org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeInstance.init(RuntimeInstance.java:241)
>         at org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeInstance.init(RuntimeInstance.java:534)
>         at org.apache.velocity.app.VelocityEngine.init(VelocityEngine.java:144)

Well, considering that i'm pretty sure ResourceManagerImpl implements
ResourceManager and Log4JLogChute implements LogChute, then this has
got to be some funky classloader issue.  Unfortunately, these aren't
my forte, but perhaps others can help here.

can you tell us anymore about your setup?  where jars are at?  how
they're being loaded?  also, are you using the Velocity singleton at

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
nope, it's just looking for one of the Avalon LogKit classes.  nothing
wrong there, since that's not the log system you're using.  i will try
to make those messages look as benign as they are for the next
version.  just to avoid user confusion when debugging.

Posted by Michael Giroux <ml...@gmail.com>.
On 3/24/07, Henning P. Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> wrote:
> "Nathan Bubna" <nb...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Best would be to model an org.apache.velocity Eclipse component (maybe
> we can even provide one from the project, it is not too hard to do
> that) which exports the org.apache.velocity.* classes to the container
> and pull them in from the plugins.

This would be a great idea.  There are already a few Eclipse plugins
for apache projects (ant, lucerne) packaged with Eclipse, and few more
(axis, cactus, commons logging, log4j, wsil4j, xerces) packaged with
Eclipse WTP.

It would be great to have a standard velocity plugin, and even better
if you can get the Eclipse project to include it with WTP or Eclipse
sdk.

Michael

Re: Log4JLogChute isn't a valid LogChute???

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"Nathan Bubna" <nb...@gmail.com> writes:

Best would be to model an org.apache.velocity Eclipse component (maybe
we can even provide one from the project, it is not too hard to do
that) which exports the org.apache.velocity.* classes to the container
and pull them in from the plugins.

In general, with Eclipse it is a *bad* idea to have anything on the
class path that is not Eclipse controlled.

	Best regards
		Henning

>Can you bring that down to just one 1.5 jar in the system?  We changed
>some classloading stuff in 1.5 to deal with some other common
>classloading problems.  I'm wondering if you needed 3 jars before but
>now that is causing this problem.  Just a guess...

>On 3/23/07, Michael Giroux <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 3/23/07, Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Another point of speculation -- could there be multiple instances of
>> > the Velocity jar in your Eclipse distrib?  It might be trying to pull
>> > these classes from a different velocity.jar.
>> >
>> > WILL
>>
>> There are three copies of the 1.5 jar in the system, but there were 3
>> copies of the 1.4 jar and everything was running fine with that
>> config, so I'm surprised there would be an issue.
>>
>> I must have touched something else and just am not aware of it.
>>
>> Thanks for all the pointers, but I think I've got a class loader issue
>> that I'll have to sort out in Eclipse.
>>
>> Michael

Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- hps@intermeta.de | J2EE, Linux,               |gls
91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540  | Apache person              |eau
Open Source Consulting, Development, Design    | Velocity - Turbine guy     |rwc
                                                                            |m k
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH - RG Fuerth, HRB 7350     |a s
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Buckenhof. Geschaeftsfuehrer: Henning Schmiedehausen |n

	       "Save the cheerleader. Save the world."

Re: Log4JLogChute isn't a valid LogChute???

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Giroux <ml...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com>.
Another point of speculation -- could there be multiple instances of
the Velocity jar in your Eclipse distrib?  It might be trying to pull
these classes from a different velocity.jar.

WILL

On 3/23/07, Michael Giroux <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As I continue to dig, I find a NoClassDefFoundError on
> org/apache/log/format/Formatter.  I do not see this anywhere in the
> sources, but maybe it gives a clue as to maybe I managed to configure
> something incorrectly?
>
> Michael
>
>  [trace] *******************************************************************
>  [debug] Starting Apache Velocity v1.5 (compiled: 2007-02-22 08:52:29)
>  [trace] RuntimeInstance initializing.
>  [debug] Default Properties File:
> org\apache\velocity\runtime\defaults\velocity.properties
>  [debug] Trying to use logger class
> org.apache.velocity.runtime.log.AvalonLogChute
>  [debug] Couldn't find class
> org.apache.velocity.runtime.log.AvalonLogChute or necessary supporting
> classes in classpath.
> org/apache/log/format/Formatter
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log/format/Formatter
>         at org.apache.velocity.util.ClassUtils.getClass(ClassUtils.java:63)
>         at org.apache.velocity.util.ClassUtils.getNewInstance(ClassUtils.java:95)
>         at org.apache.velocity.runtime.log.LogManager.createLogChute(LogManager.java:147)
>         at org.apache.velocity.runtime.log.LogManager.updateLog(LogManager.java:208)
>         at org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeInstance.initializeLog(RuntimeInstance.java:728)
>         at org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeInstance.init(RuntimeInstance.java:240)
>         at org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeInstance.init(RuntimeInstance.java:534)
>         at org.apache.velocity.app.VelocityEngine.init(VelocityEngine.java:144)

Forio Business Simulations

Will Glass-Husain
wglass@forio.com
www.forio.com

Re: Log4JLogChute isn't a valid LogChute???

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On 3/23/07, Michael Giroux <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/23/07, Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You don't need the AvalonLogChute.  This is a debug level message,
> > because it is non-essential.  It is only for backwards compatibility
> > that Velocity's Runtime will by default try to use Avalon LogKit
> > before falling back to other LogChute implementations.
>
> I'm not configuring anything for logging as far as I know.  I am
> guessing this is a default config option.  But thanks for pointing
> this out.

yep, it's a default.

Re: Log4JLogChute isn't a valid LogChute???

Posted by Michael Giroux <ml...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"Michael Giroux" <ml...@gmail.com> writes:

Uh, some of your mails got me thinking. Do you have velocity on the
classpath *before* starting up Eclipse? Or is it on the plugins
classpath?

	Best regards
		Henning

Posted by Michael Giroux <ml...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
if there's a list for eclipse plugin developers, they might be able to
help you more at this point.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
That pretty much explains it. Do you have Velocity as a common component
or do all of your plugins bring their own copies of the velocity.jar ?

If yes, make sure in your configuration, that none of the plugins
imports or exports any org.apache.velocity.* classes. That should
normally do it.

	Best regards
		Henning

Posted by Michael Giroux <ml...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"Michael Giroux" <ml...@gmail.com> writes:

>I'm developing an Eclipse plug-in that uses Velocity.  In fact, There
>are three plug-ins that use Velocity.  One of these was built with
>Velocity 1.5.  The other two were build with Velocity 1.4.  All three
>were working nicely.  I updated the two that were using Velocity 1.4
>to Velocity 1.5 and started getting the following error from the on
>that was previously working perfectly.

>I'm using the Velocity-dep-1.5.jar in all three projects.  Can anyone
>suggest what I might have messed up to create this error?

Hmm, that looks more like a class loader issue where one instance
found a class loaded from another loader somehow. This will lead to
having a perfectly good looking LogChute that can not be casted into a
LogChute. ;-) You also have the same problem with the resource manager.

What platform are you running on (Web container / J2EE container)? Are
you running in an EAR / WAR? If yes, would it be possible to move the