Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Markus Heinisch <Ma...@trivadis.com> on 2004/11/12 10:58:09 UTC

Import and checkout problem

Hi,

I'm new to subversion and started with the quick start manual.
I'm using subversion 1.1 an WindowsXP.
My problem is:
I tried to checkout into the folder after an initial import which still contains the files that were imported.

How can I accomplish that task?

When deleting all file in my working dir, svn co is able to checkout all files, but that is kind of annoying.

This is what I have done:
-------------------------------------
D:\Projekte>svn ls file:///D:/svnroot
projects/

D:\Projekte>svn import -m "test import" TestSVN file:///D:/svnroot/projects/TestSVN
Hinzufügen     TestSVN\JustAfolder
Hinzufügen     TestSVN\JustAfolder\bDoc.pdf
Hinzufügen     TestSVN\aDoc.pdf

Revision 7 übertragen.

D:\Projekte>svn ls file:///D:/svnroot/projects/TestSVN -R
JustAfolder/
JustAfolder/bDoc.pdf
aDoc.pdf

D:\Projekte>svn co file:///D:/svnroot/projects/TestSVN
svn: Konnte Verzeichnis 'TestSVN/JustAfolder' nicht hinzufügen: ein Objekt mit demselben Namen
existiert bereits

Last command says that an object with the given name exists!

Any hints or comments?

Thanks,

Markus

Re: Import and checkout problem

Posted by Gary Feldman <g1...@marsdome.com>.
Markus Heinisch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to subversion and started with the quick start manual.
> I'm using subversion 1.1 an WindowsXP.
> My problem is:
> I tried to checkout into the folder after an initial import which still
> contains the files that were imported.

The quick answer is that you can't, and that's intentional.

There are several reasons for this.  One is that Subversion tries very
hard to never accidentally delete information.  Since it has no way of
knowing whether the directory after the initial import is unchanged from
the import, it will refuse to overwrite any of those files.

Also, by always doing checkouts to an empty directory, you're guaranteed
that you have a tree that exactly matches the repository.  While this
often doesn't matter, it's nevertheless a good practice and habit.

Gary