Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org> on 2008/05/04 12:02:46 UTC

[proposal] java5 as minimal runtime for maven 2.1 (and 2.0.10 ?)

Hello,

As you can read at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/
*" J2SE 1.4.2 is in its Java Technology End of Life (EOL) transition period*.
The EOL transition period began Dec, 11 2006 and will complete October 30th,
2008"

I don't think we have plan yet to release maven 2.1, so I think it would be
a valid to require java 1.5 as minimal runtime.

Main beneficts (IMHO) :

- annotation can replace javadoc-style IoC an Maven plugin declarations
(code allready available :
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Java+5+Annotations+for+Plugins)
- jsr-250 annotations can replace some plexus interfaces ( LogEnabled ->
@Resource('log') , Initializable --> @PostConstruct ...) and make component
more "standard" and accessible to developpers without plexus knowledge.
- generics can make the maven model more comprehensible. The current
"Collection project.getArtifacts()" is not really clear and the fiew
available javadoc don't help a lot.

Other possible improvements :

- plugin test tool could use jUnit 4 runners to create something comparable
to spring-test-context :
annotate your plugin test class with @Runwith( "MavenPluginTestRunner" )
@Pom( "myTestPom.xml" )
and the test will prepare the plugin set in the test pom and inject it in
the test class.
- benefict from java.util.concurrent to do some tasks in parallel ? Example
: dependencies downloading
- any other ?

WDYT ?

Nicolas.

Re: [proposal] java5 as minimal runtime for maven 2.1 (and 2.0.10 ?)

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.
Right, I missed this thread. I don't understand the Eclipse limitation about
required JRE but can believe there is some impacts. As the same "EOL"
applies to eclipse, and many eclipse plugin require java5, could we ignore
this platform limitation few users will not survive when maven 2.1 will be
released ?

Nicolas

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 4-May-08, at 11:11 AM, nicolas de loof wrote:

>> I retrotranslated maven-artifact so that users of 1.4 in m2eclipse
>> would
>> not be inconvenienced. I have not retrotranslated XBR as we asked
>> users
>> about 1.5 use on the m2eclipse list and the only people that
>> responded were
>> those who wanted to drop support for 1.4.
>

> Why did this happen on m2eclipse-users list and not on maven-dev one ?

We did it here a long time ago, but we asked Eclipse users because
they are more effected by limitations of the platform. Go look in the
mailing archive, there was a long discussion on this list. In short
the impact to users of IDEs, especially Eclipse, has far more impact
then general command line usage. From what's been seen so far almost
everyone could survive on the CLI with 1.5, but when things in Eclipse/
WTP integration not working on older versions of the target platform
is a real nightmare so that's why we asked there, in addition to here.

> If one dependendency now requires Java5,why still retrotranslate
> others ?

Sorry, I don't GROK your question. There is only one retrotranslated
dependency: maven-artifact.

> Nicolas.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 4-May-08, at 10:08 AM, nicolas de loof wrote:

> Right about leaving 2.0.10 as is, and use it for maintenance purpose
> only.
>
> About 2.1 beeing already java 1.5, I can read this in main POM.xml :
>
>          <artifactId>maven-compiler-plugin</artifactId>
>          <!-- Maybe someday...
>          <configuration>
>            <source>1.5</source>
>            <target>1.5</target>
>          </configuration>
>          -->
> Did I miss something ?

Yes.

Two dependencies, maven-artifact and XBR, now use Java 1.5. Look in
the POM for maven-artifact and if you run the build for trunk you will
see the retrotranslation artifacts.

I retrotranslated maven-artifact so that users of 1.4 in m2eclipse
would not be inconvenienced. I have not retrotranslated XBR as we
asked users about 1.5 use on the m2eclipse list and the only people
that responded were those who wanted to drop support for 1.4. Users
don't seem to be bothered about dropping 1.4 so at least in trunk I
don't think we're going to harm anyone going to 1.5. I would very much
rather use 1.5, I just don't want to inconvenience or screw users
inadvertently.

We cannot require 1.5 in the lifetime of the 2.0.x series, as we just
don't know what people are using and how.

> 2008/5/4 Brian E. Fox <br...@reply.infinity.nu>:
>
>> This is already the case for 2.1, and we can't change it in 2.0.10.
>> Just
>> because we used to break peoples' builds with regularity doesn't
>> mean it
>> is going to continue.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

We all have problems. How we deal with them is a measure of our worth.

-- Unknown

Re: [proposal] java5 as minimal runtime for maven 2.1 (and 2.0.10 ?)

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.
I don't see getting a tremendous amount of benefit from switching
2.0.10 (or whatever you want to call it) to require 1.5 without in
turn making however benign changes to the codebase...which would not
be fixing issues directly and potentially expressing new ones which
largely takes it out of the realm of a maintenance release imo.

I am perfectly fine with 2.1 requiring 1.5 but I think 2.0.x ought to
stick with the minimal requirements it is sitting at already

jesse

--
jesse mcconnell
jesse.mcconnell@gmail.com

Re: [proposal] java5 as minimal runtime for maven 2.1 (and 2.0.10 ?)

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Marat Radchenko <sl...@gmail.com>.
+1 for 2.1, -1 for 2.0.10

Posted by da...@davidkarlsen.com.
On Sun, 4 May 2008, nicolas de loof wrote:

>> Once we have the toolchains fully in place and allow easy cross-compiling
>> independently of the JDK running Maven, there seems to be no reason why
>> the
>> build tool shouldn't be run with a higher Java than the minimum JRE for
>> the
>> project under build.
>>
> This is allready not a limitation : I'm building java 1.3 projects using
> maven 2 running on JDK 6. I simply use the compiler target=13 and
> bootclasspath to point to JRE1.3 rt.jar. The toolchain would make this even
> simplier as the JRE1.3 path has to be set by developers in settings.xml
> using a non-standard property.

+1 - doing the same here.
And as it was mentioned earlier 1.4 is EOL. Let's move on and get the goodies :-)

--
David J. M. Karlsen - +47 90 68 22 43
http://www.davidkarlsen.com

Re: [proposal] java5 as minimal runtime for maven 2.1 (and 2.0.10 ?)

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
Nicolas De Loof wrote:

> I don't think we have plan yet to release maven 2.1, so I think it would
> be a valid to require java 1.5 as minimal runtime.

+1 for Maven 2.1, -1 for Maven 2.0.10 (doesn't feel right to bump minimum
requirements in a maintenance branch).

Once we have the toolchains fully in place and allow easy cross-compiling
independently of the JDK running Maven, there seems to be no reason why the
build tool shouldn't be run with a higher Java than the minimum JRE for the
project under build.

> - generics can make the maven model more comprehensible.

In particular, strongly typed collections will not only help developers to
understand the intended contents but enables the compiler to actually
enforce it.

Benjamin

Re: [proposal] java5 as minimal runtime for maven 2.1 (and 2.0.10 ?)

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
Yah, I think that will be the consensus. I don't really want to find
out we've jacked up someone's environment by forcing 1.5. Brian did a
really awesome job that last release killing many regressions and I'd
like to keep it that way.

On 4-May-08, at 1:06 PM, Garvin LeClaire wrote:

> +1 for 2.1, -1 for 2.0.10
>
> Regards,
>

> Garvin LeClaire
> garvin.leclaire@gmail.com
>

> nicolas de loof wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> As you can read at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/
>> *" J2SE 1.4.2 is in its Java Technology End of Life (EOL)
>> transition period*.
>> The EOL transition period began Dec, 11 2006 and will complete
>> October 30th,
>> 2008"
>>
>> I don't think we have plan yet to release maven 2.1, so I think it
>> would be
>> a valid to require java 1.5 as minimal runtime.
>>
>> Main beneficts (IMHO) :
>>
>> - annotation can replace javadoc-style IoC an Maven plugin
>> declarations
>> (code allready available :
>> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Java+5+Annotations+for
>> +Plugins)
>> - jsr-250 annotations can replace some plexus interfaces
>> ( LogEnabled ->
>> @Resource('log') , Initializable --> @PostConstruct ...) and make
>> component
>> more "standard" and accessible to developpers without plexus
>> knowledge.
>> - generics can make the maven model more comprehensible. The current
>> "Collection project.getArtifacts()" is not really clear and the fiew
>> available javadoc don't help a lot.
>>
>> Other possible improvements :
>>
>> - plugin test tool could use jUnit 4 runners to create something
>> comparable
>> to spring-test-context :
>> annotate your plugin test class with
>> @Runwith( "MavenPluginTestRunner" )
>> @Pom( "myTestPom.xml" )
>> and the test will prepare the plugin set in the test pom and inject
>> it in
>> the test class.
>> - benefict from java.util.concurrent to do some tasks in parallel ?
>> Example
>> : dependencies downloading
>> - any other ?
>>

>> WDYT ?
>>
>> Nicolas.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

the course of true love never did run smooth ...

-- Shakespeare

Re: [proposal] java5 as minimal runtime for maven 2.1 (and 2.0.10 ?)

Posted by Garvin LeClaire <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1 for 2.1, -1 for 2.0.10

Regards,

Garvin LeClaire
garvin.leclaire@gmail.com

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
My only concern would be plugins... but since 2.0.9 locked down the plugin
versions that should not be as big an issue any more

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
I think the sentiment is fairly clear. I am going to unwind the
retrotranslating I put in place and leave 2.1 requiring Java 1.5.

On 4-May-08, at 1:35 PM, Sejal Patel wrote:

> +1 on maven 2.1
> -1 on maven 2.0.x (please don't mess with the current maintenance
> releases.
> even feature enhancements should be minimal. just fix regressions
> mostly)
>
> On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Arnaud HERITIER
> <ah...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> +1 for 2.1
>>
>> Arnaud
>>
>> On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 12:02 PM, nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> As you can read at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/
>>> *" J2SE 1.4.2 is in its Java Technology End of Life (EOL) transition
>>> period*.
>>> The EOL transition period began Dec, 11 2006 and will complete
>>> October
>>> 30th,

Posted by Sejal Patel <se...@gmail.com>.
+1 on maven 2.1