Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Barzilai Spinak <ba...@internet.com.uy> on 2003/04/06 11:11:02 UTC

NEW Xindice 1.1b and Cocoon 2 HowTo

Dear boys and girls:

Since I had so many people asking me to explain what I did, and
following Vladimir's suggestion, I wrote a little "How To"
which you can enjoy here:

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?XindiceProjectPages

As I explain in the disclaimer, I'm very new to both Xindice and Cocoon,
so I may have done a lot of conceptual mistakes.
It's also my first "how to" so it may be very confusing and difficult to
understand. I tried to be as clear as possible.

If you find any mistakes or want to clear up some concepts for me that
you find I didn't get it, please tell me.
But first try to see if there's not something wrong with your installation.
I don't have much time to answer how to install your JDK or how to fix
the always-changing CVS sources so they will compile.

I spent the last 4 hours writing the "how to" as a humble way to
contribute to this project which I think is very cool and useful
and has a great future.

Thanks!

BarZ

Re: NEW Xindice 1.1b and Cocoon 2 HowTo

Posted by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com>.
> Since I had so many people asking me to explain what I did, and
> following Vladimir's suggestion, I wrote a little "How To"
> which you can enjoy here:
>
> http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?XindiceProjectPages

Thanks for the document.  Here are some remarks:

- start from the hypothesis that the Xindice release is valid.  The user
shouldn't be required to retrieve Xindice from CVS in order to make it work

- how to build Xindice should be described in another document.  One
task per how-to, otherwise there's too many repetitions.

- "The reason for this is that, as of this writing, none of the 3
pre-built .zip or .tar.gz [distributions] (jar, war, src) are complete.
In particular, you won't be able to build Xindice from the src
distribution because it's missing the config directory and maybe other
stuff..."
   The goal is not to state that there is a problem, but to fix it.  I
know it takes much more time to fix a problem but that's how you can
improve things.  Anyway we know that the release doesn't work.  If
someone wants to take the next step and fix the release, he's welcome.

> It's also my first "how to" so it may be very confusing and difficult to
> understand. I tried to be as clear as possible.

It's a good start.  Just be more focused and take the opportunity to fix
things.  Xindice has so many problems, it's very likely that you are
right when you find something's broken :-)

> I spent the last 4 hours writing the "how to" as a humble way to
> contribute to this project which I think is very cool and useful
> and has a great future.

if everyone just invested an afternoon to improve the project I'm sure
we will be much further than we are now.  So thanks for showing the way.

-Vladimir

--
Vladimir R. Bossicard
www.bossicard.com

Re: NEW Xindice 1.1b and Cocoon 2 HowTo

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
Hi,

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003, Barzilai Spinak wrote:

> Thing, is... I don't know why you need that tomcat.home property when
> building. As I explained, I just set it to /var/tomcat4
> but it's not clear to me what it does. I tried to rephrase it a little
> so I don't mention /var/tomcat4

$TOMCAT_HOME is used by the "tomcat-deploy" build target, which basically
builds XIndice and then copies it into $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/ so it is
ready to run.

tomcat.home in the build.properties is supposed to allow you to override
the directory XIndice will be copied to, or to specify it instead of
setting $TOMCAT_HOME.

The rewording looks fine to me ...

> I made it compile just by making those two methods public. I know it's
> not what Vladimir intended, I just wanted to make the build successful.

Ditto. I see Vladimir's done the same.

Andrew.

Re: NEW Xindice 1.1b and Cocoon 2 HowTo

Posted by Barzilai Spinak <ba...@internet.com.uy>.
Andrew Savory wrote:

>You don't need to talk about /var/tomcat4 for the same reason that you
>don't mention the directory java is installed in - because when JAVA_HOME
>and $TOMCAT_HOME are set, it doesn't matter.
>
>This means that step 1 in the build process should be modified to
>something like "if you don't want to use TOMCAT_HOME, ..."

Thing, is... I don't know why you need that tomcat.home property when
building. As I explained, I just set it to /var/tomcat4
but it's not clear to me what it does. I tried to rephrase it a little
so I don't mention /var/tomcat4

>You also have typos: <source-hanlder> should be <source-handler>.

Fixed it.

>Vladimir, your recent integration tests stop CVS from building -- any
>chance you could either roll them back until the problems are fixed, or
>commit the fixes?
>
>    [javac] /home/savs/cvs-apache/xml-xindice/java/tests/src/org/apache/xindice/integration/client/services/XUpdateQueryTest.java:74: setUp() in org.apache.xindice.integration.client.services.XUpdateQueryTest cannot override setUp() in org.apache.xindice.integration.client.AbstractXmlDbClientTest; attempting to assign weaker access privileges; was public
>    [javac]     protected void setUp()

It looks like Vladimir was working on it at about the same time I was
writing the howto.
I made it compile just by making those two methods public. I know it's
not what Vladimir intended, I just wanted to make the build successful.
I don't know wether it has some
side effects because I haven't tested.

Bye all..

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
On Sun, 6 Apr 2003, Vladimir R. Bossicard wrote:

> It's fixed in CVS now.  I didn't know that this could break the build.  I'm
> currenlty changing the tests so that they can be executed independently.  For
> the integration tests I'll try to introduce a new JUnit TestRunner.  I'll do
> this this week so hopefully we'll have better tests next week-end.

Cool, thanks. I quite like the fact that the integration tests are run as
part of the standard build - it's a good way of ensuring all code is
tested and many eyes see the need for fixes!

Andrew.

Re: NEW Xindice 1.1b and Cocoon 2 HowTo

Posted by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com>.
> Vladimir, your recent integration tests stop CVS from building -- any
> chance you could either roll them back until the problems are fixed, or
> commit the fixes?

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
On Sun, 6 Apr 2003, Barzilai Spinak wrote:

> As I explain in the disclaimer, I'm very new to both Xindice and Cocoon,
> so I may have done a lot of conceptual mistakes.

The only comment I'd have is:

  You have installed Tomcat 4 and it is installed under /var/tomcat4 and
  have exported the TOMCAT_HOME variable.  (It normally starts on port
  8080, so if you go to http://yourhost:8080 you will get your local
  Tomcat page)

You don't need to talk about /var/tomcat4 for the same reason that you
don't mention the directory java is installed in - because when JAVA_HOME
and $TOMCAT_HOME are set, it doesn't matter.

This means that step 1 in the build process should be modified to
something like "if you don't want to use TOMCAT_HOME, ..."

You also have typos: <source-hanlder> should be <source-handler>.

Other than that, looks pretty good to me, so far! Can't wait to try it out
on a Cocoon site :-)

Vladimir, your recent integration tests stop CVS from building -- any
chance you could either roll them back until the problems are fixed, or
commit the fixes?

    [javac] /home/savs/cvs-apache/xml-xindice/java/tests/src/org/apache/xindice/integration/client/services/XUpdateQueryTest.java:74: setUp() in org.apache.xindice.integration.client.services.XUpdateQueryTest cannot override setUp() in org.apache.xindice.integration.client.AbstractXmlDbClientTest; attempting to assign weaker access privileges; was public
    [javac]     protected void setUp()

Cheers,

Andrew.