Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/13 17:13:48 UTC

Tapestry Project -- April 2006 Board Report

Tapestry has been in a state of transition away from a Jakarta
sub-project and to an Apache top level project.

Two new PMC members / committers have been added: Andreas Andreou and
Brian K. Wallace. Andreas has been active in the external Tacos
project (Ajax components for Tapestry). He and Brian have been
actively mentoring and supplying patches for months.

Bug fix releases of Tapestry 3 (release 3.0.4) and Tapestry 4 (release
4.0.1) have been released. These efforts have been spearheaded by
Jesse Kuhnert and Brian K. Wallace.

We've succesfully moved the SVN repository out from under the Jakarta
project. Howard Lewis Ship has taken over responsibility for granting
SVN access karma to Tapestry team members.

We're beginning to formulate rules and procedures for breaking the
Tapestry project into individual sub-projects. We are facing a large
amount of work to convert from an Ant-based build to a Maven2-based
build, primarily in terms of documentation (reams of which are
currently in Forrest XML format).

We are working on a new logo for Tapestry and expect to debut the new
http://tapestry.apache.org/ web site when it is ready. Our remaining
transfer tasks concern other bits of infrastructure to move out from
under Jakarta: the Tapestry wiki, and the Tapestry mailing lists.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry

Re: Tapestry Project -- April 2006 Board Report

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I wasn't aware of that change in policy, but I'm totally in favor of
it!  The other was going to be a big headache.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@gmail.com>.
On 4/24/06, James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> What if the committers *are* the other PMC members?  Does he still have to
> vote on it?  I'm just curious, trying to learn the Apache way (especially
> since they've asked me to be the HiveMind PMC chair).

When the Board initially approves a resolution creating a new TLP
(such as HiveMind or Tapestry), there is a submitted roster of PMC
members and a designated PMC Chair.  When that resolution passes, all
of those people become PMC members and the PMC Chair is appointed.

As part of the TLP creation process, someone (usually an existing
infra@ person) is going to do some twiddly bits and execute the
Board's decision.  At that point, usually the PMC Chair gets the
ability to assign karma.  But, if the infra@er is feeling really lazy,
they may just assign the Chair karma to assign karma and leave it at
that.  But, because the Board has already approved the PMC members (by
passing the resolution), the Chair should feel free to assign those
people karma to the new project - they're just executing the whims of
the Board.  ;-)

Note that the Board is the only entity that can change the composition
of a PMC.  This is why PMC Chairs must send an email to board@ and a
Director must send an acknowledgement.  72 hours after that ACK if no
other Director raises a concern, then the composition of that PMC can
then change.

I hope this helps.  It's probably not half as complicated as I make it
sound.  ;-)  -- justin

RE: Tapestry Project -- April 2006 Board Report

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.