Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Bill Lear <ra...@zopyra.com> on 2003/03/18 14:20:23 UTC

Vlib code distribution

I remember somewhere someone remarking that Tapestry would tend
to produce applications with fewer lines of Java code.

Looking at Vlib, I see about 8,500 lines of Java code (I excluded
copyright lines), 1,000 lines of page and jwc code, and 2,500 lines of
html.

That's about 12,000 lines in all, of which, very roughly, about 70% is
Java code, 10% is page/jwc code, and 20% is html.

The Tapestry page asserts that "Graphic designers and Java developers
can work together", and assuming that page/jwc code is handled by Java
developers, that's about 80% of the work handled by Java developers,
and 20% by HTML developers.

So, for every HTML developer, I'll need 4 Java developers.  This, of
course assumes roughly equal measures of "work" and productivity
across the two domains.

Does that seem about right?

Bill

RE: Vlib code distribution

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.
I'm in the embarrasing (?) position of now having done a large-scale
Tapestry project in quite some time.  I left Primix for WebCT with the
expectation that we'd be hip deep in Tapestry by now, but that hasn't
materialized (at least, not yet).  Mind Bridge, Adam Green, Eric Schnieder
and others on this list will probably be more helpful.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components

RE: Vlib code distribution

Posted by Bill Lear <ra...@zopyra.com>.

RE: Vlib code distribution

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.
Your underlying assumption: that one line of HTML (by an HTML developer) and
one line of Java (by a Java developer) takes the same amount of time to code
and debug is completely flawed.

My experience has been about 1:6 (one HTML developer works with 6 Java
developers), though typically not all of the Java developers are working on
the presentation layer. This matched the overall mix at Primix at the time,
which had about give HTML/graphic artists and about 30 Java developers.

I'd be interested to hear what some of the other groups out there using
Tapestry more recently can say.  Some of the newer features (library
support) simplify things, and I feel that 2.4/3.0 is a whole new ballgame.