Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu> on 2002/06/12 23:11:55 UTC

2.0.37 ready to release?

>From all accounts I've heard (except the one tiny snafu on ReliantUnix),
2.0.37 is working nicely.  +1 for GA from me.

--Cliff

Re: nope. HEAD hangs. (was: Re: 2.0.37 ready to release?)

Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.
On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 04:54:16PM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> > $ telnet cvs.apache.org 80
> > HEAD /viewcvs/ HTTP/1.0
> > host: cvs.apache.org
> >
> > <HANG!!!>

CRRRRRRAAAPPPPPP.  Okay, I withdraw my +1, as I consider that a
showstopper.  Looks like it's 2.0.38 or bust.  I'll try to debug.  What I
see so far:

HEAD / HTTP/1.0              --> works (200 OK)
HEAD /viewcvs.cgi HTTP/1.0   --> works (301 Moved)
HEAD /viewcvs.cgi/ HTTP/1.0  --> HANG
HEAD /viewcvs/ HTTP/1.0      --> HANG

It _could_ be mod_cgi-specific, though it's interesting that the 301 case
works fine while the should-have-been-200 case hangs.

--Cliff

PS: We definitely need to craft an httpd-test test for this, as it seems
to keep on breaking undetected.  :-(

Re: nope. HEAD hangs. (was: Re: 2.0.37 ready to release?)

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@ntrnet.net>.
On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 04:54:16PM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> > $ telnet cvs.apache.org 80
> > HEAD /viewcvs/ HTTP/1.0
> > host: cvs.apache.org
> >
> > <HANG!!!>
> >

> > No idea what is causing it right now, but I found it because I can't make
> > updates on freshmeat.net. It tries to do a HEAD on the URLs you give it.
> > This was happening when icarus was on an older Apache, then it got upgraded
> > to 2.0.3??, and I think it started working (not sure). Now that it is at
> > 2.0.37... it definitely doesn't work.
>
> Hmm. I left the telnet running while composing this email, and eventually
> the server closed the connection. So I re-ran it with "time" to see how long
> the timeout was... 5 minutes.
>
> After the timeout, then a good-looking response was generated.
>
> Cheers,

Everytime I see stuff like this it is a module trying to get input data
when there is none.  I'll look at this tonight.

Ryan

550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610

Re: nope. HEAD hangs. (was: Re: 2.0.37 ready to release?)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 04:54:16PM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> $ telnet cvs.apache.org 80
> HEAD /viewcvs/ HTTP/1.0
> host: cvs.apache.org
>
> <HANG!!!>
>

> No idea what is causing it right now, but I found it because I can't make
> updates on freshmeat.net. It tries to do a HEAD on the URLs you give it.
> This was happening when icarus was on an older Apache, then it got upgraded
> to 2.0.3??, and I think it started working (not sure). Now that it is at
> 2.0.37... it definitely doesn't work.

Hmm. I left the telnet running while composing this email, and eventually
the server closed the connection. So I re-ran it with "time" to see how long
the timeout was... 5 minutes.

After the timeout, then a good-looking response was generated.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

HEAD hang due to FreeBSD 4.6?

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 04:54:16PM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> -1 from me.

Yeah, well I blame FreeBSD not httpd-2.0.

icarus% uname -a
FreeBSD icarus.apache.org 4.6-RC FreeBSD 4.6-RC #11: Mon Jun  3 17:17:13 PDT 2002     brian@icarus.apache.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/icarus  i386

I bet this has been broken since Brian installed the new kernel.
(I don't remember him announcing he upgraded the kernel.)  The
particular situation we got is just too icky not to be caused by
the OS - read() returning EAGAIN on reading stderr of the script
and select() hangs for the 5 minute file timeout.  This code hasn't
changed in APR since 2.0.36, but the OS has changed.

Regardless, if we read stdout first, we can then read stderr on
FreeBSD 4.6-RC.  So, it's fixed in our HEAD (I tested on icarus).
And, we should get better RFC compliance to boot.  Everything is
related, isn't it?  (I sound like James Burke.)

I do wonder why FreeBSD changed this.  -- justin

Re: nope. HEAD hangs. (was: Re: 2.0.37 ready to release?)

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 04:54:16PM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> $ telnet cvs.apache.org 80
> HEAD /viewcvs/ HTTP/1.0
> host: cvs.apache.org
>
> <HANG!!!>

I can't reproduce this locally - even with viewcvs as the script.
(I had to find a CVS repository - I switched my local stuff to SVN.)

I'm building HEAD on icarus and will run on a high port and see if
I can reproduce it using the same config as Cliff is using for
port 80.  -- justin

nope. HEAD hangs. (was: Re: 2.0.37 ready to release?)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 02:29:13PM -0700, Ian Holsman wrote:
> Cliff Woolley wrote:
> > From all accounts I've heard (except the one tiny snafu on ReliantUnix),
> > 2.0.37 is working nicely.  +1 for GA from me.
> >
> > --Cliff
>
> +1 from me

-1 from me.

Try these two operations against cvs.apache.org:

$ telnet cvs.apache.org 80
GET /viewcvs/ HTTP/1.0
host: cvs.apache.org

<output goes here>

$ telnet cvs.apache.org 80
HEAD /viewcvs/ HTTP/1.0
host: cvs.apache.org

<HANG!!!>

No idea what is causing it right now, but I found it because I can't make
updates on freshmeat.net. It tries to do a HEAD on the URLs you give it.
This was happening when icarus was on an older Apache, then it got upgraded
to 2.0.3??, and I think it started working (not sure). Now that it is at
2.0.37... it definitely doesn't work.

There'd be no way to announce on freshmeat, at a minimum.

And given the easy repro case...

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: 2.0.37 ready to release?

Posted by Ian Holsman <ia...@apache.org>.
Cliff Woolley wrote:
> From all accounts I've heard (except the one tiny snafu on ReliantUnix),
> 2.0.37 is working nicely.  +1 for GA from me.
>
> --Cliff

+1 from me

Re: 2.0.37 ready to release?

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Cliff Woolley" <jw...@virginia.edu> wrote:

> From all accounts I've heard (except the one tiny snafu on ReliantUnix),
> 2.0.37 is working nicely.  +1 for GA from me.

It is... No weirdness on nagoya so far on Sol8/worker...

    Pier