Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/06/13 19:22:37 UTC

Proposal/Idea: Data Visualization Contest

An idea that came to me last night in a moment of quiet contemplation.

We have a lot of data on the downloads from the past year.  I used
some of the data in this blog post:

https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/apache_openoffice_one_year_50

But there is a lot more raw data available, from the SourceForge stats
API that I did not use.

And let's be honest, my charts are rather dull, basically black and
white charts suitable for publication in the "Proceedings of the
International Society of Boring Stuff".

There is also a bunch of data that can be derived from mailing list
archives, perhaps the website, forums, SVN, wiki edit logs, etc.

For example. I looked at some ASF-wide data I got from scraping the
Apache committers list, and did some posts on my personal blog:

www.robweir.com/blog/2013/05/mapping-apache.html

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2013/05/mapping-the-asf-part-ii.html

The proposal would be something along the following:

1) Collect onto a webpage or wiki pointers to the data sets that we
have available, maybe even with some sample python code I have to
parse the data.

2) Invite anyone interested to do whatever analysis / visualization
they want to do with the data and to post it.  This could be charts,
interfactive websites, videos, etc.

3) We judge the submissions based on attractiveness, clarity, insight, etc.

4) Prize for the winner?  At the very least we can give feature an
interview with them on the blog, to give them recognition.

What do we get out of this, as a project?

1) We get to reiterate the openness of the project, that all this data
is available.

2) We get infographics that we can use to to promote the underlying
success of AOO.

3) We may get some new insights into the users and/or community from
these visualizations.

4) We learn some new techniques on how to use the data that we have
and will have in the future.  Some of this analysis may be applicable
to other projects as well.

5) We attract additional attention to the project, via coverage of the
contest and the results.

-Rob

Re: Proposal/Idea: Data Visualization Contest

Posted by Juergen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Am Donnerstag, 13. Juni 2013 um 19:22 schrieb Rob Weir:
> An idea that came to me last night in a moment of quiet contemplation.
>
> We have a lot of data on the downloads from the past year. I used
> some of the data in this blog post:
>
> https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/apache_openoffice_one_year_50
>
> But there is a lot more raw data available, from the SourceForge stats
> API that I did not use.
>
> And let's be honest, my charts are rather dull, basically black and
> white charts suitable for publication in the "Proceedings of the
> International Society of Boring Stuff".
>
> There is also a bunch of data that can be derived from mailing list
> archives, perhaps the website, forums, SVN, wiki edit logs, etc.
>
> For example. I looked at some ASF-wide data I got from scraping the
> Apache committers list, and did some posts on my personal blog:
>
> www.robweir.com/blog/2013/05/mapping-apache.html
>
> http://www.robweir.com/blog/2013/05/mapping-the-asf-part-ii.html
>
> The proposal would be something along the following:
>
> 1) Collect onto a webpage or wiki pointers to the data sets that we
> have available, maybe even with some sample python code I have to
> parse the data.
>
> 2) Invite anyone interested to do whatever analysis / visualization
> they want to do with the data and to post it. This could be charts,
> interfactive websites, videos, etc.
>
> 3) We judge the submissions based on attractiveness, clarity, insight, etc.
>
> 4) Prize for the winner? At the very least we can give feature an
> interview with them on the blog, to give them recognition.
>
> What do we get out of this, as a project?
>
> 1) We get to reiterate the openness of the project, that all this data
> is available.
>
> 2) We get infographics that we can use to to promote the underlying
> success of AOO.
>
> 3) We may get some new insights into the users and/or community from
> these visualizations.
>
> 4) We learn some new techniques on how to use the data that we have
> and will have in the future. Some of this analysis may be applicable
> to other projects as well.
>
> 5) We attract additional attention to the project, via coverage of the
> contest and the results.

this sounds like an interesting idea and it would be interesting to see what we can get out of the data.

Juergen